Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Game Changes

Thu, Oct 17 2013 12:37 AM (408 replies)
  • MBidney
    145 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:08 PM

WGTwildcat:

Hi all, unfortunately the general issue of "sandbagging" is a complicated one. We do hear you and absolutely don't take it lightly, as it's a serious issue. We're working on this issue and understand your concerns. Some of you have flagged players for us before, but if you know/suspect someone is sandbagging we're happy to look into it individually and it's especially helpful when there is evidence to support the claim.

Thanks for keeping comments constructive.

So what does sandbagging have to do with me not getting the Level 94 driver for a year now with this change?  Here I play the right way and get stuck with inferior equipment on Legend tees and have zero chance to compete for 2+ years.  That is pretty rediculas.

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:25 PM

I cant figure this out. My last 20 ranked rounds, i have a 33 avg (66). Yet my average will not go up at all, but only down. I can shoot a 35, stays at 62.84, but if i shoot a 30, it goes down.

any reason? I'm not good enough nor do i have the clubs yet to play as a Legend. I know its still a long ways off, but it seems i'm being forced to it if i want to compete and post low scores to win tournaments in our CC. I dont play wgt tourneys, or games for credits, im just one of the 99%'s on here. 

thanks,

Sammi

• okiegolfer2
    350 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:44 PM

MBidney:

WGTwildcat:

Hi all, unfortunately the general issue of "sandbagging" is a complicated one. We do hear you and absolutely don't take it lightly, as it's a serious issue. We're working on this issue and understand your concerns. Some of you have flagged players for us before, but if you know/suspect someone is sandbagging we're happy to look into it individually and it's especially helpful when there is evidence to support the claim.

So what does sandbagging have to do with me not getting the Level 94 driver for a year now with this change?  Here I play the right way and get stuck with inferior equipment on Legend tees and have zero chance to compete for 2+ years.  That is pretty rediculas.

MB,

I'm a level 89 Legend who is going to miss buying the R11s driver, too, and with a closer call than you.  I've decided not to sruggle with trying to level-up in time, as many of my compatriots have.  I've voiced my disappointment already on this thread.  I'm not sure there is an answer to "sandbagging" with the way the game is set up now.  I'm not even really sure what it is.  Suffice to say that a relaively few have messed up things for a lot of us, both the sandbaggers and the execs at WGT.  I wish there was a way WGT could sift us honest players out and not penalize us, but that is not going to happen.  I, too, will be "stuck" with waiting for a driver for a year that I should have had earlier.  That makes me mad, but I'm not going let it ruin my game.  I wish the same for you.  And, after all is said and done, the R11s isn't that much better than the R11.  I think you'll find that to be the case.

Best wishes,

Okiegofler

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:47 PM

WGTwildcat:

But sandbagging is not against the rules. There is nothing forcing them to advance in tiers, so why should we flag for them? What you need to do is making sandbagging pointless, not to police players who happily use the doors you have opened for them. Just adjust the tier requirement for the equipment (now almost everything unlocks at 'Hack+') and problem is solved. 

I would really like to hear an explanation of why it is difficult. Well, apart from the fact that some people will be upset when they can no longer use their R11S that they have bought as a Hack. Just give them the opportunity to sell it back for a limited time only 80% of retail. Or just return all the credits and take their gear, then you do not even need to ask them, just run query in your databases and get the whole thing over with in seconds.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 5:04 PM

SamanthaWho:

I cant figure this out. My last 20 ranked rounds, i have a 33 avg (66). Yet my average will not go up at all, but only down. I can shoot a 35, stays at 62.84, but if i shoot a 30, it goes down.

any reason?

In each tier, once you reach a certain number of ranked rounds, your average will only go down. It goes down at a snail's pace and the way it works, by the time you're at the average for the next tier, you'll be ready for the promotion. Then it starts again.

Sandbaggers know this and avoid playing ranked rounds so as to keep the tier but advance levels to get the equipment. Just keep playing and posting and you will fit your average.

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 5:54 PM

okiegolfer2:
    Suffice to say that a relaively few have messed up things for a lot of us,

You just hit the nail on the head. Funny thing is, a couple of the worst of the worst most blatant baggers are very vocal in the forums about the fact that they are gaming the system, often offering tips to newbies on how to do the same. These cowards have no pride. They'd be swiftly given the boot at every respectable real life country club around the world, here they are continuously rewarded. Thought this site was supposed to be a 'realistic' golf experience? 

okiegolfer2:
    And, after all is said and done, the R11s isn't that much better than the R11.

Agreed. After months of waiting for the R11 irons, the r11s driver was released a few hours before I hit lvl90. Had the credits to burn, so I bought it. The difference (for me anyway) is barely noticeable.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:55 AM

GlassMan27:

okiegolfer2:
    Suffice to say that a relaively few have messed up things for a lot of us,

You just hit the nail on the head. Funny thing is, a couple of the worst of the worst most blatant baggers are very vocal in the forums about the fact that they are gaming the system, often offering tips to newbies on how to do the same. These cowards have no pride. They'd be swiftly given the boot at every respectable real life country club around the world, here they are continuously rewarded. Thought this site was supposed to be a 'realistic' golf experience? 

Sidenote: dunno about anybody else .. but the "Community Spotlight" always leaves a grimmace on my face & a hot collar round my neck ..

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:57 AM

chris5214:
    Sidenote: dunno about anybody else .. but the "Community Spotlight" always leaves a grimmace on my face & a hot collar round my neck ..

As another side note - tried "sandbagging" yesterday by playing St Andrews practice with Hack settings and yes, I think I could win tournaments like that :)  

Still, again, I don't blame them for trying, I blame WGT for making it easy. Serious tournaments should be played from the same tee. I don't think the amateurs at the Open played from shorter tee's? I might be wrong there, so correct me if I am. I am also quite sure that an amateur would have to really loaded with money to get the same treatment when customizing clubs as, for instance, Tiger Woods. And he is still not a Legend...

We have a Pro shop, maybe there should be another shop for Legends? Yes, that is tier based equipment but in another shape. The sandbaggers would not even be let in and that might create an urge to advance in tiers. 

If WGT would do something similar to above, I do not see much reason why anyone would feel the urge to create another account.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:20 AM

another thing to consider is how pervasive & entrenched the bagging problem may or may not be in terms of WGT's current financial model ..

out of the approx 5,3 mill subscribers, how many are financially active members who spend $ on this site & again how many of those are bagging ? 1%, 2% .. 5% .. more ? less ?

the higher that % the more reliant the system becomes on baggers ... but i find it difficult to believe that the % can be high enough to threaten financial sustainability .. this is just me guessing here ... we have no idea, only WGT does ...

somehow, someway, some transparency is needed on this ..

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:28 AM

I am sorry to say but the R11s driver is worth every cent.

My driving stats for every round now is minimum 88%.

Couple days ago had 100% for 18 hole round at Congressional.

RSS