Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews: Out-of-bounds area seems too close to fairway

Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:40 AM (26 replies)
  • pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:27 PM

Just a thought: I think the OB area is too close to the fairway on some holes, particularly the 14th. I've hit a shot that landed ON the left fairway on my 2nd shot, but the game identified it to be out-of-bounds. I was wondering, is it supposed to be this way? Thanks.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:44 PM

Hi pinkgirl,

It's likely that you hit into an adjoining fairway for another hole.  If you cross over into another hole's area you will probably find the OB.  We are limited in terms of how far beyond the hole's minimap we can realistically go, so there is a cutoff once you venture away from the hole you are actually playing.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 1:02 PM

So nivlac: I assume that's only the case for St. Andrews as it's the only course that runs the front 9 and back 9 parallel in different directions? And the other courses are marked by OB markers.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 1:07 PM

As I understand it, because of the holes proximity to one another there are local rules at St. Andrews that prevent you from hitting from other fairways for safety issues.  However, from a programming standpoint it is necessary to limit the size of the hole on every course to the playable area to keep the memory requirements down. This is why most hole maps are only as big as they absolutely have to be.

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 1:12 PM

A lot of the Scottish courses run this way so it isn't that unusual.  I don't recall the OB on St Andrews when I played there, I think it is more of a courtesy since a few holes sort of criss cross near the end of the 9.  For a tournament there would be no out of bounds within the boundries of the course.  I understand the WGT limitations but if a part of the course is out of bounds, it should be marked that way.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 1:25 PM

A quick glance at the area yielded results similar to the picture below.  The only time I was marked OB is when I went just past the edge of the minimap.  There may be some hairline tweaking necessary, but for the most part it seems to be mapped & marked correctly.  I'll have 'em take a look at it anyway just to be sure.

• jimgriff
    127 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 1:53 PM

Hole 14 is the real bug in the rug (so to speak), because it is safer to play in the adjoining fairway in 30 mph headwinds...You are going to get a lot of lost ball donated to the site since this is not clear!  BTW, i finally just hit into the rough next to Hell's bunker and it wasnt' so bad an approach...

• romhol
    4 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 11:05 PM

I cannot speak for St Andrews but my Club has a out of bounds between the 1st and 2nd holes for safety but it only applies to drive and not subsequent shots. The Club cannot afford to risk players being hit. But as for the game, I agree there are restraints to where you can go. In Tiger Woods online game you can venture unto other fairways on St andrews without penalty.

• bonhoeffe
    111 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 12:30 PM

There is another out of bounds issue that only the short hitters see. I am a master with a 230yd driver. Consequently I hit to the left fairway on the 7th hole. there definitely seems to be an out of bounds issue there.Sometimes I swear i still am in the fairway and it gives me out of bounds. they sure could use better graphics in that situation too. Can hardly see myself hit.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 12:49 PM

bonhoeffe:
    There is another out of bounds issue that only the short hitters see. I am a master with a 230yd driver. Consequently I hit to the left fairway on the 7th hole. there definitely seems to be an out of bounds issue there.

bonhoeffe, take a look at this thread.   That fairway you're hitting to is not the 7th, but the 12th.  There is a discussion about the lines of OB on that other fairway.

Good luck.

RSS