Help › Forums

Hooked and I Really Need Help

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:42 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BigDogDaddy2004
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 10:28 PM

First off not here to complain, I love this Game Site! I've only been playing for a little over 2 months and have already achieved Master ranking. Although I got really good and started winning credits at the Pro Ranking. When I achieved Master, I've been struggling, as I did to get to Pro I equipped up, so when I got Master I equipped up, however shots that I could make at the Pro Level, I'm struggling with now. Is this the game or just me. I'm confused.

Example: I hit a shot at 155 low wind(2 mph right at me), slight back spin and hit the ball dead nuts, the ball went 10 ft right flag high. So the distance was good with the flagstick, why the extreme right on a perfect shot.

I already upgraded my whole PC, it runs great and I hardly get any swing meter hang ups. I don't understand why I'm struggling so much at this level. Please advise. Any Masters that could offer some advice to help me get back into my game.

Respectfully,

BigDogDaddy2004

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 5:58 AM

BDD-Without question it's your irons. This is typical of low precision clubs. You need the accuracy or this will continue to happen randomly.

Look at your clubs' precision rating. Your Pings only have a 1 dot precision rating. The G10s have 3 1/2 and the i15 has 4! The trade off is the meter speed but you can slow it down with different balls if it is too much. This is why you're having difficulty that you didn't have as a pro.

By the looks of it you have the meter going as slow as it can with the club/ball combo you use. It might be time to stop worrying about meter speed and get into some really accurate clubs. It isn't as hard to master as you might think and the results are well worth it. GL

• BigDogDaddy2004
    6 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:42 AM

Thanks YankeeJim, I'll give it a shot.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:56 AM

Heres my 2 cents BDD, think about whats changed since turning master.

1. The tees are longer, what did you do? you purchased the RD9 driver, good choice its got the distance you need and its meter isn't as fast as some of the other drives.

2. The greens are faster, but you already have a Daytona putter so theres no change needed there, you just need to practice.

The fairway hasn't changed so the irons you used as a pro (when you where scoring in the 60s) don't need to be changed right now.

you need to get rid of your hybrid and LW and replace them with two other wedges. Because your Pro Rapture wedge is 110 yrds the rest of the wedge distances should look something like this 98   77   50. Your LW is redundant on the very fast greens i hope you agree.

The example you mentioned above is a computer problem that happens time to time to everyone, it has nothing to do with being a master or your equipment.

My advise to you would be use your RD9 driver as a gauge i.e wants your consistently hitting on or around the ding line, then and only then think about up grading your irons. I personally think the Pro Rapture irons are adequate for your game right now, and the extra distance and back spin that the up graded irons offer  is not worth the compromise of a faster meter you cannot control

A lot of players may say look at other masters bags and see what their using, i don't recommend that because every ones meter speed comfort zone is different.

Also you may want to consider  buying the new balls on offer in the pro shop , every little bit helps ,  cheers 

My putting is just like my dick.......it stinks

• BigDogDaddy2004
    6 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:28 AM

Thanks GriffyGriff and Yankee Jim, I just updated my equipment again, didn't notice that much of a difference in the meter, was already used to the faster meter with the RD9, the iron set was a plus.

I played a practice round at St. Andrews, first time out with new equipment and shot 4 under. I'm happy, I felt competive again, the only problems I found where me....I knew this time when I missed it was my fault, mainly on the putts. I was able to put myself close, but putted like Helen Keller, I missed about five close putts that should be birdies, but this time I knew it when I hit it.

So thanks to both of you, I'm enjoying the site again and now I have to keep practicing and practicing to get get back in the mix.

Cheers to all,

BigDogDaddy2004

• Whogolf
    78 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:48 AM

I would stick with your set of irons and the LW at full. The pitch and chips never worked for me, unless I`m a yard from the green, and 15 yds to the pin I use the chip. I`m 90% one putt after using the LW. from 50 yds in. I think I have a 65 avg because of the LW. After all, I didn`t know you could change the meter range on the putter,till a week ago which proves my point :)

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 12:49 PM

whogolf, he was using a starter LW, but he's got it sorted out now

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:03 PM

BDD, thanks for the balls, that was very kind and much appreciated

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:22 PM

BDD, you will still get that accuracy variation sometimes even with the best clubs.  Its the game, its not designed like TW where you can throw darts at the pin every time.  Occasionally you get VEM, or the beast as many call it, you hit what you think is a perfect shot, but maybe its start off target right from the get go.  It tries to play closer to real golf, and like in real golf you can pure an iron and sometimes be 10-15ft off or worse.  Keep up the good work, take the bad with the great in this game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 3:10 PM

BigDogDaddy2004:
    Thanks GriffyGriff and Yankee Jim, I just updated my equipment again, didn't notice that much of a difference in the meter, was already used to the faster meter with the RD9, the iron set was a plus.

Now you're cooking. Good move picking up those G10s, you won't be sorry and I guess you know that by now after that -4. Now start working on that 30! :-)

• PAGES
RSS