Forums

Help › Forums

New to the game. Many equipment questions.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 6 2012 8:03 PM (5 replies)
  • BigTobacco
    2 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:57 PM

So, I'm new to the game (2 days).  I am still using my starter clubs.  I'm currently level 23, Pro, and have 2,800 credits.  I don't know if I should go ahead and upgrade to new equipment or if I should just wait until I get higher level to get better equipment.  I've looked through the Pros Shop, but nothing has jumped out at me and said, "Buy ME."  I would like to be competitive; However, I don't mind using my starter stuff as long as I  can work towards something that will be ultimately better.  If any of you experienced players can give me any advice in the "smartest" way to spend my credits I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for any and all advice,

BigT

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:48 PM

There is no smartest way, it all depends on how you personally choose to balance competitiveness and spending.

The consensus seems to be that there are a few sets that stand out as better than anything available to that point:  The lower level R11s, the L59 G20s, the L79 Burners (now Bladez), the L83 G20 woods, and finally the L90 R11s.  The Ping Raptures are favorites among players who need a slower meter speed.

There is no consensus on putters.  Nearly every one has its loyal fans.  I see you've already purchaced a MAX model...don't know much about it, since it hasn't been around long enough to develop a following.  I suspect you'll be able to use it for quite some time, if not forever.

Wedges are the best way to improve over the starter gear.  Nearly all players ditch the hybrid club in favor of a third wedge.  It's far more useful.  You spend a lot of time hacking at the green from short distances, and the starters aren't up to the task.  For lower levels, the Clevelands have a reputation as the best available, while the Ping Tour W series is known as an excellent value.  The upper level Clevelands and ATVs are both improvements over anything else.  

Balls will save strokes, but are credit burners - so it goes back to your personal choice regarding the value of strokes for dollars. 

One thing to keep in mind is that your progression through the levels will slow down as you move up.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/48159.aspx

this thread is the go-to for estimating how long it will take you to unlock gear.  It helps a ton when placing a value on an intermediate upgrade.

• BigTobacco
    2 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:42 PM

bhoese,

Thank you for taking the time to give me such an all encompassing answer.  I will use this as I continue to move my way up the ladder.

Thanks again,

BigT

• Ringobeast007
    44 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:08 PM

What he said ^ ^ ^

But if you do go for the raptures, which you may well do when you size up the options, hold on for at least the first "2010 edition" set, as they are massively better than first set available and still relatively cheap...

Level ups come quick through the 20's and 30's (and 40's) so its only a matter of days...

• row2seat2
    1,441 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:36 PM

Enjoy the ride, don't buy too soon , look at what may take you to higher tiers and don't over spend. If you buy look ahead to the next 2 tiers or more.

• mickey95010
    32 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 8:03 PM

Starter clubs are penalized so buy something quickly.  Ever try to hit a straight putt with th efree one stuff? hahaha This game is a joke if you dont spend some coin here.

RSS