Forums

Help › Forums

New & Improved GUI Walkthrough

Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:48 AM (0 replies)
  • WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:48 AM

With the latest product update we're proud to introduce some user-friendly changes to the game client setup menu.  This basic walkthrough will warm you up to what you're going to see when you load the game client from now on.

Provided that you do not have a round saved for continuation you will immediately be greeted with our updated interface.  Here is a breakdown of what you will see on the main menu screen.  Feel free to click on any of the pictures in this walkthrough to enlarge them to full size.

THE BASICS:

A )  Quick Launch Area

Get your games set up quickly and easily using the new quick launch area. Choose your mode of play for a solo round (Stroke, Match or CTTH) or start up a multiplayer game all from one convenient location.

B )  WGT Recommends

This new section will give you a couple of suggestions to quickly start up a game and will also serve to remind newer players that certain features and modes are available for play.  You can click on any of the recommendations to check them out for yourself.

)  My Equipment & Upgrade Center 

Your equipment is now displayed right on the main screen.  Know what's in your bag without having to move your mouse. The display also indicates how many of the equipped ball type you have left in your bag.  Now there's no need to worry about running out of balls in the middle of a round and having to switch to the basic ball. If you need to purchase more balls you can hover your mouse over the balls in your bag to link quickly to that section in the Pro Shop.  If you're interested in browsing club options or some new avatar outfits just click on the blue upgrade equipment banner.

D )  Avatar Controls

Changing your Avatar from the game client is now possible.  Simply click on your avatar and you will automatically be taken to your profile so you can make a quick change before teeing off.

E )  Simplified Menu System

The basic menu system still exists, but it has undergone some slight changes.  A few things have been removed since they are now included on the main screen itself, so have a look around and explore the options.  The biggest noticeable change in this area is the new EXPLORE COURSES option and the movement of MY SETTINGS to the top menu.  Click MENU at the top left and you will see the new location for the in-game options.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME SETUP:

After clicking one of the quick launch options on the menu you will see a screen similar to the one below.  In this example I've chosen basic solo stroke play.  The first thing you'll notice is the brand new layout.

Stroke Play:  Wanted match play instead of stroke play?  Change to a different style of play with a click on the Change Game Mode button.

Game Mode:  You can select Ranked or Practice for stroke play.  If you are playing match play your options will be Scored, Practice or Challenge. CTTH is always ranked.

- NOTE: You can immediately start a practice round on a random course with random conditions by clicking the TEE OFF button.  You can also switch the game mode to a ranked game before teeing off. This will choose a random course with your tier-specific ranked conditions.

Course:  Click on one of the course pictures to change to that course or just allow the defaulted Random option to choose a course for you.  Courses that are grayed out are not available for that particular game type.  Note that the right arrow (>) is clickable and will advance the page so you can see the rest of the course options.

Special Consideration: If you wish to play a game on Oakmont, you must first choose the Oakmont picture on the far left.  This will take you into the Oakmont siteshell (which has been renamed as the USGA Championship Zone) and you will be able to set up a game from there. Our agreement with the USGA and Oakmont require that it continues to have its own dedicated area for now.  We are working with both entities to make Oakmont more easily accessible to players in the future.  For this reason, if you use the course selector on the right you will not see Oakmont in the scrolling list.

Practice Round Options: (grayed for Ranked, Scored & Challenge play)

Holes:  Choose the Front 9, Back 9 or Full 18 for this round.

Pin Locations: Choose the hole locations that you would like to use in your practice round.  This option is only valid for courses that support multiple hole locations.

Green Speed:  Choose the green speed that you would like to use in your practice round.

Wind:  Choose the wind strength that you would like to use in your practice round.

Invite Players/Join Game: Decided that you want some company after all? Change this round to a multiplayer round by clicking one of these options.

Once you have everything set up, your screen will look something like this:

After thinking about it, I've decided to play a practice round on the Front 9 of St. Andrews. I've also decided that I'd like this to be a multiplayer game instead of playing solo.  You will notice the additional multiplayer options now at the bottom when you choose to make it a multiplayer game. Yes, that is a 30 second timer. We have added a 30 second timer in addition to the default option of 90 seconds as a test run. More timer options will be added later on if we think the multiple timer option is successful.

From this point you can make last minute equipment decisions, switch the configuration one more time or get started by clicking the CREATE GAME button. In multiplayer this will take you to the lobby, but if your game is solo then the create game button will be replaced with the usual TEE OFF button and you will start your round.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ SECTION:

Why are some of the courses grayed out at times?

- Courses will be grayed out if they cannot be played in the current selected mode. For example, if you choose Stroke Play you will only be able to choose from Kiawah Island, Bethpage, St. Andrews or Oakmont.

Where is Match Play Challenge?

- To access Match Play Challenges simply create a game using the Match Play selection.  Under the game mode selection scroll to Challenge.

I can't find MY SETTINGS.  Where do I change my graphics quality, flagstick animations and the other options?

- The game options have been moved to the menu in the top left.  Just click the MENU button and you will see the new location for MY SETTINGS.

I seem to be having trouble setting my game up for Oakmont.  Is there anything special I need to do?

- Yes.  Our agreement with the USGA and Oakmont require the course to remain in its own siteshell (the USGA Championship Zone) for now. To play Oakmont, simply start a game setup and click the Oakmont picture in the course selection on the left.  This will redirect you to the USGA Championship Zone and you will be able to set up your game from there.

Does that mean CC tourneys & Ready Go's will be unable to feature Oakmont?

- For now that is unfortunately correct.  We are working with the USGA and Oakmont to make the course more accessible to the players in general.  We know you guys are itching to get Oakmont into your private CC events and Ready-Go's tournaments. We will be sure to let you know as soon as this course becomes available for those modes.

What else came out with this release?

- Check our list of updates here.

RSS