Forums

Help › Forums

Great Info On Optimizing Your WGT Experience!

Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:21 AM (7 replies)
  • Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2013 5:29 AM

From a former WGT community moderator!  Read it!  It'll help you with your game!  Great blog post.  :)  You're welcome! 

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2013 6:15 AM

Copy/Paste

Have you optimized your system lately?
    09 Mar

It is recommended that you clear your Flash and Browser cache every time we release a Product Update.  If you haven't cleared your Flash and Browser caches since we released St. Andrews then chances are you might be experiencing some slower load times and/or frequent load manager errors, especially during the start of the game.

To fix these problems:

1. Click --->  Optimize Your WGT Experience
    2. Follow the instructions at the bottom of that post to clear your Flash & Browser caches.
    3. Restart your browser and try again!

When you clear your Flash and Browser cache you are deleting the game files and settings that are stored on your PC.  That means during your very first game you will experience longer than normal wait times while your PC re-downloads the necessary course and game files.  That also means you will need to reset any in-game options such as graphics quality and reflections before you tee off for your first round.

You should NOT clear your caches every day or every week.  That will only cause you more headache because you will constantly be downloading game assets.  You should only clear caches when we release a Product Update or if you start to experience prolonged loading issues!

Also, a few random tips for improved performance:

1. Decrease your graphics quality in your game options.  The default setting is High, but for many players this will still cause a fair amount of meter stutter.  Try setting the graphics quality to Medium or even Low for a smoother meter.  Turning down the graphics quality only affects the GUI itself, your avatar and your scorecard.  It does not affect the look of the course photos.  This is the #1 reported quick-fix for meter problems.
    2. Turn off  Reflections
    3. Turn off Flag Animations
    4. Turn off the Putting Grid.  When set to OFF the putting grid will be displayed for you while you line up your putt, but it will disappear when you begin to set power.  This can help reduce stutter on the greens.
    5. Pull the flag out of the hole before you putt.
    6. The WGT window can be re-sized to any size or shape by clicking and dragging the bottom right-hand corner of the game window.  Try a half-sized screen and see if that makes a difference.
    7. Bookmark the game client directly. (http://wgt.com/gameclient.aspx)
    8. Shut down the WGT website in the background.  Run the game window only!
    9. Don't play multiple games one after another.  Play one round and after the round is over you should exit your browser and restart it before playing again.
    10. Taking #9 one step further here. If you are playing an 18-hole solo tournament consider saving your game after 9 holes and reloading the window to play the back 9.
    11. Make sure you are using the most current version of Adobe Flash Player.  You can get the latest version HERE.  Please note that we do not support the BETA release of Flash.
    12. Make sure you have the most current drivers for your video card.   The latest ATI graphics card drivers can be found HERE.   The latest NVIDIA graphics card drivers can be found HERE.

Remember, your foursome is only as strong as its weakest member, so be sure to point any players that you see having loading/performance issues to this blog for help.  Helping them helps everyone! =)

Good luck and hit 'em well!

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 3:49 AM

LOL.  Thanks Rock!

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 4:51 AM

Just a little effort on my part.

:)

R.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 5:11 AM

Well, I might be a special case then if thats what it takes to get best out of WGT.

My best PC i have in the house is in the basement which I use for my music production, and due to It being in a basement i rarely ever use It for WGT.  We've a sony laptop too which i never use because i dont like playing wgt on a laptop, i prefer sitting by a desk to get optimum ding reaction.  That leaves me to play on my kids PC which is in my kitchen/dining room overlooking my back garden so perfect location to sit and play WGT with countryside just out side of the window.  The funny thing is, I've been playing my kids PC to play WGT for as long as i can remember and Its the most basic PC you could get, I doubt it even passes the minimum requirements of WGT.  

Its an old Acer with Amd Athlon 4200+ dual core 2.20 ghz , Should be 1 gig RAM (but says 960mb!) has no added graphics card and the version of flash i'm using is old as well.  My drivers havn't been updated in year, but although It might be worst PC ever, It plays WGT perfectly, smooth meter "most" of the time (get the odd skip out of the blue, but don't we all??)I can even play with flag animations with no problems, play the game at all times on high quality.  I see not much difference in game when i play my better PC in basement. It might load a touch faster, but i wouldn't say the Acer is slow either.  I'm well below the minimum requirements but still get a perfect meter, is it just a freak Pc.lol or could it be down to the internet connection?? (thats not that fast either seeing as i'm in rural wales, only 6.5mbs)

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:21 AM

Chris is running windows XP is my guess, both on the music production PC and the kids/wgt pc...... come in Chris...

:)

R.

PS XP is best ever. A shame MS will stop support early next year.

RSS