(Tournament) round recording glitch

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:06 AM (8 replies)
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2013 2:59 AM

(from "Days Played", same forum)

Advance note:

What J calls "WGT day" has only been the "CDP bonus day", referencing GMT (UTC time zone). IMHO, "WGT day" shows Californian time, PST = UTC-8, represented by the forum clock.

juggss6:

To RECAP tonight. It's 12/10. The "WGT Day" resets at 6pm Central time.

At 11 minutes before the WGT day is to reset, I start a round of CTTH on Merion. You see my system clock at 5:49.

<pic snipped>

At 5 minutes before the WGT day is to reset, I post the round, it's dated in my history as I played it on 12/10. The correct date, at 5:55.

<pic snipped>

I start another CTTH round 5 minutes AFTER the WGT day has started, on Olympic. 6:05.

<pic snipped>

And finish 11 minutes after the WGT day has started, 6:11. It's dated 12/11 in my round history. IT'S STILL 12/10! That's a 23:49 difference alosso.

<pic snipped>

Thus J found a new margin of error/deviation for the display of scored time. 6:11 pm CST (UTC -6) is 4:11 pm PST - eight(!) hours difference to what we used to have. Thus, the "new day" on the scoreboards apparently is UTC = GMT.

Voluntarily or not, that is the question. An indication towards the latter is a related inconsistency: It has been noticed in the forum on Nov 30 that scores in November tournaments were posted with "Dec.1":

(from my score history, played around 11 pm PST, Nov. 30)

Apparently, tournament schedule and scoring date/time did not match.

Next test will be the week 50 tournaments. Comments anyone? Comments WGT?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Dec 16 2013 11:48 PM

No comments WGT?

This deviation is still active (see my last Merion CTTH round on "12-17"), and, as shown, it will allow to post in tournaments, apparently after they were closed.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 11:42 AM

Hi

I read it the first time and wasn;t following and my engineer asked to clarify:

The way it has been working for years is during winter, the new day resets at 7pm NYC time, and during summer it's 5pm NYC time... is this what you are refereeing too or something else?  If so, that;s likely due to savings time when clock is set hr ahead or hr behind?

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 12:32 PM

Excuse me, NYC time is irrelevant in this case, I won't bother to rethink in these time zones. Second, no relation to the daylight savings switch in October visible (which should be only one hour difference(?)).

At first we have to clarify which "new day" you are talking about.

Let me guess that you are talking about the CDP daytime displayed in the game menu, counting backwards, aren't you? This is fixed to GMT (UTC) now like it has been "forever". The CDP "day" starts at 12 am GMT (0:00 h in my thinking).

Alas, no, this is not what I'm talking about.

I'm going to bring this line from my score history to your attention again (cf. above):

Which month does the date on the left hand show? December.

Which month does the tournament title show? November.

Is the deviation showing up correct? Did I play after closure of the tournament?
    (No, I played around 11 pm PST, Nov. 30)

If you did not follow the discussions, please re-read this thread and the other one, "Days Played", also in "Bug log". My conclusion is that the scoring dates, example above "12.01.13", are no longer in PST but in GMT, 8 hours difference.

Is this in compliance with WGT's intentions?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 2:00 PM

alosso:

Excuse me, NYC time is irrelevant in this case, I won't bother to rethink in these time zones. Second, no relation to the daylight savings switch in October visible (which should be only one hour difference(?)).

At first we have to clarify which "new day" you are talking about.

Let me guess that you are talking about the CDP daytime displayed in the game menu, counting backwards, aren't you? This is fixed to GMT (UTC) now like it has been "forever". The CDP "day" starts at 12 am GMT (0:00 h in my thinking).

Alas, no, this is not what I'm talking about.

I'm going to bring this line from my score history to your attention again (cf. above):

Which month does the date on the left hand show? December.

Which month does the tournament title show? November.

Is the deviation showing up correct? Did I play after closure of the tournament?
    (No, I played around 11 pm PST, Nov. 30)

If you did not follow the discussions, please re-read this thread and the other one, "Days Played", also in "Bug log". My conclusion is that the scoring dates, example above "12.01.13", are no longer in PST but in GMT, 8 hours difference.

Is this in compliance with WGT's intentions?

hi

I think I follow what you mean. But, from what I understand, it's been same way forever... I even remember rg monthly's would also reset 7hrs before end of the month... I just adjusted then.

From what I learned, the timings and such are pretty complicated and while they can be improved to sync it better, I suspect it will be left as is, for if we try to fix it, it may break even worse...

I know it's not ideal, but that's where we are right now.

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 2:18 PM

I'm not asking for a change, I'm asking "Is there a change?"

You say there isn't. I have a hard time to believe that nobody should have noticed this in the past two years (of my WGT existance). Even Bollox agreed that it was different before.

But, who am I to argue.

BTW: What are "rg montlies"? Aren't ReadyGo's independent from the calender?

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 2:33 PM

alosso:

You say there isn't. I have a hard time to believe that nobody should have noticed this in the past two years (of my WGT existance). Even Bollox agreed that it was different before.

But, who am I to argue.

I noticed the change close to a year ago Alosso. I just thought nothing of it really.

Whatever they did, it was a big change.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Dec 17 2013 6:53 PM

alosso:

But, who am I to argue.

When ever I play after 19:00 (7:00pm) EST it shows the date of the following day because it has become a new day UTC. In your case had I played that Tourney on Nov 30th after 19:00(7:00pm EST) it would have shown the date as Dec 1st just like it did for you. It's become absolutely normal to me and has been this way from when I joined. Every round I play in the evening after 7:00pm is always shown in my history as the next day. I think the end time for most all WGT Tourneys is set to PST not UTC. Only our Consecutive Days played is set to UTC. This has also always been that way from when I joined. It makes no sense to me that they use 2 different times but after a while, it became normal and I don't think about it any more.

did that ^ make any sense?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:06 AM

Your words make sense Cerino, thanks for your insight.

It only makes no sense to me to have a tournament score posted on a date which is past the completion of the competition. Public tournaments are scheduled in PST, shouldn't score time stamps follow suite? O.k., different time zones make it possible, but what about logic?

And I wonder why I never noticed this? *looks into mirror*

RSS