Forums

Help › Forums

Too much luck required at Kiawah

Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:13 AM (30 replies)
  • derekortt
    668 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2013 5:40 PM

I'd love nothing more than that course to be removed until better putting angles are available. You cannot even line up a 5 footer on that place.

Only course here on WGT where skill is not the primary factor. The primary factor is whether or not you can actually read your putt.

Think I'll stop dropping credits playing Kiawah tourneys

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2013 5:58 PM

KI...for sure is tough...try to equate the dot speed for break, sure helps on those odd angled views.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2013 6:05 PM

hit it close ....

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2013 6:20 PM

derekortt:

I'd love nothing more than that course to be removed until better putting angles are available. You cannot even line up a 5 footer on that place.

Only course here on WGT where skill is not the primary factor. The primary factor is whether or not you can actually read your putt.

Think I'll stop dropping credits playing Kiawah tourneys

^there's your problem. No need to take the course away from the rest of us. There's a skill to knowing how and where to leave your approach shots so you can read the putts  on Kiawah.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 12:52 AM

Keep in mind that the second pin set @KIA was carved out of excess photographs. Back then they intended only one location per green.

And, what's the problem? I've always been able to line up my putts in reverse view. Shooting this way needs some brainwork - hope that nobody is surcharged by that.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:36 AM

Cant remember which par 4 on the back 9, either 14 or 16, probably wrong but the camera view on that hole and mapping is surely taken from the Goodyear blimp!!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:42 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    ^there's your problem. No need to take the course away from the rest of us. There's a skill to knowing how and where to leave your approach shots so you can read the putts  on Kiawah.

+1

Yes there are some "Goodyear Blimp" views, or from the spectators view but not that many. 

It is a pity as it is a great course but as CD says, learn where to put the ball and half the battle is won.

As Alosso said, it was mapped originally with only the one pin position in mind - short sighted yes but hardly a valid reason to stop playing it IMO.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:37 AM

True Alan, i actually love the course and its one of my favourites, had 4 aces there so its got for me good omens so to speak.

Ive learnt to live with the greens, just keep practising i spose.

happy new year Alan.......not played you yet my friend!!

• derekortt
    668 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 5:48 AM

alosso:

Keep in mind that the second pin set @KIA was carved out of excess photographs. Back then they intended only one location per green.

And, what's the problem? I've always been able to line up my putts in reverse view. Shooting this way needs some brainwork - hope that nobody is surcharged by that.

The problem is , some 5 footers, especially on holes 1, 3, 5 and sometimes 6 are lined up at 45 degree or worse angles. I have to rotate my laptop itself to read the greens

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2013 5:50 AM

alanti:
    As Alosso said, it was mapped originally with only the one pin position in mind - short sighted yes but hardly a valid reason to stop playing it IMO.

I am absolutely positive they originally shot more than one pin position on Kiawah.

1. New pins on Kiawah were on the roadmap as early as 2010.  Scroll down to the bottom of this page for WGTNiv's post stating the above. Obviously someone thought they had the photos for the new pins or it would not be on the published roadmap.

2. When the new pins on Kiawah didn't materialize in 2010 WGTIcon stated " I don't think Kiawah pins will be coming anytime soon/ever. I think for that to happen, they need to be reshot"  You don't re-shoot unless there were shots already taken.

3.  Here's the explanation by Icon as to why the 2nd set of Kiawah pins did not materialize in 2010.   "there is simply no shots for new pins."   Someone "in the know" thought there were 2nd pin shots taken and put it on the roadmap in 2010 only to learn later those shots don't exist.  Either those shots were messed up in the original photo shoot on Kiawah, or (more likely IMO) those photos were inadvertently deleted.

4. WGTIcon:  "We got lucky to have found an old backup with additional shots to even bring new pins:"  That tells me some files were missing from the current library of photos.

IMO, WGT made a herculean effort to deliver on their promise of 2nd pins on Kiawah.  Are the views all perfect?  No.  Are having 2nd pins with some lousy views better than no 2nd pins?  You betcha!

RSS