Forums

Help › Forums

Stupid Question on Ding?

Mon, Sep 11 2017 4:34 AM (23 replies)
  • Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:03 PM

I keep hearing that you have to ding to make better shots, and I want the real definition on it. Not just someone saying this is what it is. I looked up in Google, and it says (Mishit Ball).

I talked to another player, and he says it is everything. Now that makes no sense at all. The Mishit Ball, sounds more accurate. I can't find the real meaning of Ding anywhere on this forum, except people saying its has to be done or WGT messed it up so you can't ding any more cause of the changes they made. So is Google right on Mishit Ball or what?

I don't want to have to search forever for this answer, just the right one, not something just someone thinks it is, but it isn't even what they said it is.

I always thought it meant hitting excellent on the meter. That sounds wrong too.

I been using the forgiveness on left and right to make better shots depending on wind, and how to select the power less or more with wind speed, for drive and approach shots, and with putting using the forgiveness for slopes.

Please, correct me if you want.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:16 PM

It just means you've clicked on the middle of the meter. Whether that is good or not depends on the way that you play.

• Melonhead66630
    102 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:18 PM

If you click the meter perfectly, right on the line, you hear a "ding".  Thus Dinging the meter affords you the best shot possible.  Unless of course you meant to play a hook or a slice.  ;-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:18 PM

Threads and threads on it. Read all the takes you like but a ding is generally the way to go IMO.  Ring that ding noise, and you are safe (in basic and good enough solid play*).  

courteneyfish:
    It just means you've clicked on the middle of the meter.

Ms Fish puts it very well.

*Now on from the basics: I personally deliberately miss the ding into the wind when it is strong.  For shorter shots missing that way also stops the ball hopping across too much with the wind on landing.  For you to experiment with all that as to what exactly suits your game.

IMO don't get too wrapped up in it, just aim to ding, until you want to get more advanced.  Even then there is no need to over complicate things.  Do though always realise that missing that ding line with the wind is mostly bye bye time.  The higher the spin applied (by you by moving the dot down) the more the bye bye, and especially so if you are already using high spin balls and/or clubs.

Don't know what you have been reading on google, but just for this game that's the way it works.  I will leave RL golf ball spin dimple patterns and those physics out of this response.

• Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:44 PM

Thanks on that information, and very helpful.

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:46 PM

strong cross winds.......Do not miss on the wrong side.

• paul167
    154 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 12:36 AM

its that long since ive had a ding ive forgot what it sounds or feels like

• BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:30 AM

I have been wondering this very same thing. But I don't believe 'dinging' a shot means what we all might think it means.

Does it mean we have hit the perfect shot? Does it mean the club head has hit the ball at the correct point of the downswing arc? Does it mean the club face is at the perfect angle when it strikes the ball?

We get to control 4 things before we actually hit the ball: 1) aim left or right of a target, 2) power of our swing, 3) spin on the ball, either top spin or back spin and 4) the type of shot, i.e. full, punch, flop etc.

We do not get to control where to put the ball in our stance, i.e. forward or back, etc. We do not control how far away from the ball we stand and we can't control the angle of the club face when it strikes the ball. However, these things are assumed to be controlled by the type of shot we select.

Often times when we have chosen the correct power, aim and spin and we 'ding' the shot, it goes where we expect it to. But there are occasions when it doesn't. Why is that? Some people believe it's WGT purposefully messing with us, which may or may not be true in all cases. I think it's because of those things we do not have direct control over.

This is a computer game. Without direct control of where the ball is within our stance or how far away from the ball we stand or the position of the club face at impact, the game has to control those things. If 'dinging' a shot meant that all those things were always perfect, we'd all be shooting in the low 50's. The perfection would get boring.

To be more like real life, the only thing the game can do is randomly choose which one of those three things, or any combination, will be off and by how much. Unfortunately, we can't learn from these bad shots because we don't know what went wrong. That's where the business aspect of this game comes in.

Like it or not, this game is a business. You are free to play this game without giving up a dime, but because it's a business, it's designed to get you to put up some money. And one of those design features is we don't have complete control over our swings. Even 'dinging' a shot isn't a guarantee of perfection. It can't be. It's part of the business plan.

We can debate all day about how much of our shot outcomes are pure randomness or circumstantial. That's not the purpose of this post. I'm just sharing the conclusions I've drawn from this game. But I'm ok with it. Even if WGT were messing with our shots here and there, it becomes just like real golf, because in real golf, it's always that one shot that keeps you coming back. Whether it's a bad one that you know can do better on or a great shot you want to repeat. We keep coming back. That's also in WGT's business plan.

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:47 AM

By far the most simplistic and logical response in this entire thread, IMHO.  TY for taking your time out to express a very logical response to the OP's original question.  Golf real life or virtual will always have it's mysterys, even to the pros who hit buckets and buckets of balls trying to repeat or correct shots.  Good stuff.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 3:22 PM

BubbaSauce:
    We get to control 4 things before we actually hit the ball: 1) aim left or right of a target, 2) power of our swing, 3) spin on the ball, either top spin or back spin and 4) the type of shot, i.e. full, punch, flop etc.

I simply would not get too wrapped up in it.  Of course there is VEM, winds gusting etc etc etc..........For this game ding is where it is at though, save for what I pointed out. Right calcs dinged with good putts and you will chip away to Legend / TL. Simple IMO!

BubbaSauce:
    To be more like real life, the only thing the game can do is randomly choose which one of those three things, or any combination, will be off and by how much. Unfortunately, we can't learn from these bad shots because we don't know what went wrong. That's where the business aspect of this game comes in.

A alluded to yes, but people get too wrapped up in this sometimes IMO.

Play it simply and all is good.  Same for every one remember, and some get very good stats.  

ObviousIy a WTF is a WTF, but it's important to note these need not get in the way of learning.  

Time and effort spent means the better player can see a WTF, dust down and move on as happens.  Knowing a WTF is important, and time / effort teaches us that, so that we can learn fully from the rest.  

Importantly many seemingly WTFs are simply players not understanding enough, and why many think they get too many.

Games4Ever71:
    I been using the forgiveness on left and right to make better shots depending on wind, and how to select the power less or more with wind speed, for drive and approach shots, and with putting using the forgiveness for slopes.

As I said for strong winds I may miss often, and explained that one.  Just for the OPs concern and any one else trying to just play this game to a very good standard, and for any one 98% of the time simple dinging is the way.  Now a couple of real sharp dog legs is about the only time I would say to TM+ think about curving the ball, and there are threads on that.  Get the simple stuff right and refine the rest later for those 2% of times (and then also high winds OK missing is desired as said IMO)........

Now before any one jumps on me this response is aimed below what some think happens in RGs / top tourneys.  Threads all over the place on that, and I have not going there:).

RSS