Forums

Help › Forums

Fairway Sandtraps

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 21 2016 1:47 AM (9 replies)
  • AlvinToes
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2016 8:54 AM

You guys need to make it a little more feasible to hit out of Fairway Sandtrap's. You can never advance the ball more than 60 or 70 yards, and that is so unrealistic compared to real life.

• ScottHope
    10,325 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2016 11:03 AM

If you have a 15-20% lie you can attack it with an iron, hybrid or, if the bunker is shallow enough, a 3 wood.

4,222 Posts
    Wed, Jul 20 2016 5:11 PM

Most lies are buried.  30-40 or 40-50.  Even if it trickles in, it's buried.  Not realistic.

WGT has not simulated bunker play in real life (PGA Tour players) very well.  Rough, on the other hand, is too easy.  Pros woulld much prefer a decent lie in a bunker vs being in the rough.

Remember Tiger's 200 yard shot from a bunker, over a lake to just off the green?  Can't hit that shot in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vP15fVxSJU

But you can shoot a 54.  LOL

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2016 4:41 AM

My reply may not be popular but I personally think they should keep it as is. Yes. in real life it is way easier to play out of fairway bunkers, but with so much other assistance in the game, what would be the penalty of hitting a fairway bunker if it plays similar to the fairway suddenly?

there need to be differences between the game and real life, we can't take all the advantages of the game (putting grid, wind strength, exact yardage,...) and on top of it make the fairway bunkers not real "hazards" anymore. Then why bother aiming? Just grip and rip and wherever the ball lands, it will be ok to play :-)

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2016 11:28 AM

sky0diver:

My reply may not be popular but I personally think they should keep it as is. Yes. in real life it is way easier to play out of fairway bunkers, but with so much other assistance in the game, what would be the penalty of hitting a fairway bunker if it plays similar to the fairway suddenly?

there need to be differences between the game and real life, we can't take all the advantages of the game (putting grid, wind strength, exact yardage,...) and on top of it make the fairway bunkers not real "hazards" anymore. Then why bother aiming? Just grip and rip and wherever the ball lands, it will be ok to play :-)

Also much tougher to get into them than real..

Without putting grid and wind gauge might be interesting too.. I remember how in TW2012 they set up Golden Bell, and the wind swirled around full 360 deg there.. Proper guess where and how much to aim. Would be mayhem if something like that happened around here as people scream VEM when their 150 yd shot comes up 8ft short..

• Robert1893
    7,711 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2016 11:58 AM

sky0diver:

You make a good point. Additionally, hitting in a fairway bunker basically just takes birdie off the table. In most cases, a par is still possible. Just advance the ball about the best you can (usually around 70 yards, give or take), which should set a person up for a decent approach.

Heck, you can even put one off the cliffs on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach and still make par! :-) 

https://everyplay.com/videos/29272542

4,222 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2016 1:23 PM

sky0diver, I like your post, it made me think and reconsider.  The game is easy enough as it is and eliminating the penalty of landing in a bunker would only make it easier.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2016 5:12 AM

Vaibhav5viv:
    Without putting grid and wind gauge might be interesting too.. I remember how in TW2012 they set up Golden Bell, and the wind swirled around full 360 deg there.. Proper guess where and how much to aim. Would be mayhem if something like that happened around here as people scream VEM when their 150 yd shot comes up 8ft short..

would definitely be interested in a mode without exact numbers for wind. everything to make this game harder would be appreciated basically. wgt without putting grid seems excessive though, graphics don't give you enough contours of the greens for that.

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2016 12:14 AM

birchi:
    graphics don't give you enough contours of the greens for that.

Its more the angle of cameras wrt to lighting. Some of the views give a very good read without the grid. Merion #12,Oly #13 comes to mind. I always see the break from the higher side at Mer12 better without the grid,so often I'd visualize my putt while the opponent is playing theirs or the slight moment when the game is switching views.

• borntobesting
    9,679 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2016 1:47 AM

The first 2 courses BPB and Kiawah Island long shots from fairway bunkers can be hit using the punch shot. I don't think they made the change in how fairway bunkers played until they made the back nine of St. Andrews. Remember the front 9 and the back 9 were brought out about 2 months apart.

RSS