Forums

Help › Forums

Hybrid vs 3 Wedges

Mon, May 13 2024 11:35 PM (27 replies)
  • player987654
    28 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 8:46 AM

bifferskipper:

LOL I remember the day I made legend, I was like OH NOOOOOOO! LOL, went to the pro shop went broke and learned a whole NEW game, I will have to agree with YJ. As TM or lower there's no need for a hybrid.

Certainly no need for hybrid, but we stirred up a 3W debate for a moment. ;-)

2,111 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 3:01 PM

Hi Dave!

From my experience, it's much  more to a players benefit to have 3 wedges and leave the hybrid in the closet! I would recommend that you purchase the Cleveland RTG L76 L78 & L80 wedges, they are awesome. In the end though it all comes down to what a player is comfortable with in his/her game, but from experience I can tell you that a hybrid is nothing but a dust catcher in most cases.

Phil aka., Coyote

• AlaskanDame
    19,036 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 5:31 PM

I agree about forgetting about the hybrid, but I'd go with only 3 wedges as a TM and keep the 3W --- it's good for par 3 driving anyway.  And for wedges, I'd get a 50 (which punches at 41), 75 (which punches at 62), and 100-yard wedge (which punches at 83).  Learn those, keep them at Legend, rather than getting 4 now and trying to drop 1 at Legend (which would leave a big gap if you got 4 evenly spaced at TM).

If you're good on your dinging, the ATV wedges at lvl 86, 87, 89 would be perfect (3.5 meter).  From the looks of your bag, that's the way you are headed.  If you need something slower and/or want to use cheaper balls, then wait a bit longer for the Max meter wedges at 89, 90, 91 (4.5 meter).  I'm very partial to mine and I can use the 250-credit balls instead of Nikes.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 9:09 PM

AlaskanDame:
    I agree about forgetting about the hybrid, but I'd go with only 3 wedges as a TM and keep the 3W --- it's good for par 3 driving anyway.  And for wedges, I'd get a 50 (which punches at 41), 75 (which punches at 62), and 100-yard wedge (which punches at 83).  Learn those, keep them at Legend, rather than getting 4 now and trying to drop 1 at Legend (which would leave a big gap if you got 4 evenly spaced at TM).

Depends, not sure about the newer Cleves, but here's kinda a breakdon on my wedges.

100 yard club...can stretch to about 108 or so

Punch is 84

80 yard wedge, can stretch to 85 or so, punch is 68

60 yard wedge can stretch to 63/65 or so..

punch is 50

Best of luck to whatever the OP chooses.

• treebeard
    227 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 11:47 PM

Since the time I got to pro, I have always used 3 wedges (4 including the PW ) and dumped the hybrid. As Jimbog said, a punch with the 3w is just as good. ( with my 3w I can whack it miles )

So in my opinion, lose the hybrid and give yourself more control and accuracy for your short game.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2017 6:24 AM

There are two places on WGT where it is effective to take the driver out of the bag and substitute the 5th wedge: the par 3 courses and ctth challenges. Otherwise a pitching wedge and 3 other wedges works best. The hybrid clubs are best for those who often wonder astray. If one is able to find the short grass the need for hybrids evaporates.

• Davemuck63
    303 Posts
    Wed, Jul 5 2017 4:33 PM

Thank you everyone for the input/advice/suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Dave

• SiIverTongue
    291 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 11:46 PM

The choice between 3 wedges or a hybrid depends on your set of irons more than any other reason people may tell you, my irons hit up to 225yrds which makes a hybrid pretty senseless as the best hybrid only does 227yrds, and I can pretty much do everything a hybrid can with my top iron as well. My lowest iron hit 115 so I dropped my hybrid to get 50, 75 and 100yrds wedges, this covers me good till my PW takes over at 115yrds. 

If your PW hit 100 yards then getting a 3rd wedge would be useless again and in that case you might benefit more from having a hybrid and 2 wedges, 50 and 75yrds or maybe 60 and 80yrds.

• Squatch031
    175 Posts
    Tue, Apr 30 2024 3:36 PM

I realize this is an old thread but felt the need to update and repost.  I just played a level 92 tour pro and he had a pretty good game.  However, I was looking at his clubs and noticed he was still carrying a hybrid.  Of the two wedges he had, there was a gap of 60 years (50yd and a 110 yd).  People, you have to drop the hybrid and get a third wedge.  I think you will find that your scores will drop if you have a better short game.

RSS