Forums

Help › Forums

Mapping Pitching Wedge

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 12 2024 3:31 AM (2 replies)
  • smithsgen
    32 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2024 6:05 AM

At what hole would you recommend mapping the PW?

I've tried on Kiawah 1st and Bethpage 10th without finding any consistency and I've considered actively avoiding any approach in the 104-120 yds range. I find it harder to get near the pin with the PW than with the 9, 8 and 7 irons. I'd say my presiscion with the 6 iron is on par with the PW, but it's much more acceptable to miss from distances of +170 yards. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,506 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2024 2:10 PM

I'd take it to St. Andrews H1. Why would you reinvent the wheel, though?

With the PW and the ball you're using, it should go approx. from 115 (FBS) to 126 (No Spin) on a tee shot. When hitting it on a fairway, you should expect it to fly 1-2 yds shorter so it needs to be adjusted accordingly.

This might be helpful for you. It's an old data (or should I say datum? LOL) now but it sure can be a good reference point for many to start from, like it was the case for me. Cheers.

• smithsgen
    32 Posts
    Fri, Apr 12 2024 3:31 AM

Thanks!

However I don't really fancy either of the pin placements at St Andrews H1 for mapping. The hard pin is not entirely flat and the other two bring the creek into play. Also there's the issue with wind at St A. Even low wind is still easily 10mph. Yet I shall give it a shot if you tell me which pin you recommend. 

My mapping is (just) off-ding and I know my PW 100% no spin is 124yds. 120-123 is also managable with a an increasing touch of backspin. The rest is guessing.100% power full backspin is anywhere between 107 and 114. Today I played the back 9 at Erin and my longest putt at 25 feet came following my only PW approach. It's as if my combo of ball and PW drives VEM into another gear.

That chart is fairly accurate on my 9I to 7I, but otherwise not. Eg full power no spin with 6I and 5I hardly goes longer than their given yardage. In fact the 6I I've mapped to 179 yards with 100% no spin (again all just off-ding).

RSS