Forums

Help › Forums

Who measured the average distance for the 8i?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 10 2012 4:52 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:03 PM

It says average distance is 150 yds...come on!!! I have used full bs and used about 145 and still get over that distance or lost only 2 yds... even against wind  from fairway. Few times I have really been short against the wind. Most of the other clubs you use backspin and lose some distance, theis one is the exception in most cases, at least for me.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:24 PM

Which 8 iron are you using?

Which ball are you using?

• AiricR
    135 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:31 PM

WGT Distances....Ha Ha Ha Ha.... Some holes are good while some make you wonder why anyone put a distance up all...Part of the game..Have fun

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:37 PM

Taylor Made R11 iron Steel Level 90, with Callaways S Legend balls. All other irons, at least the short ones I lose distance with backspin, sometimes as much as 12 yds and with headwind even more.. with that one, sometimes I don't lose yds... I rather gain them.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:24 PM

You're the Legend... so I'm sure you know what you're talking about.  Obviously the better irons and better clubs hit the ball further, but this sounds like it's specific to just your 8 iron.

Can't help you but maybe others with same clubs and similar ball can confirm your dilemma.

Canadian living in Cuba?

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:38 PM

Cuban living in Canada....

Well, I used the other irons before and they were good(TM 2.0). These are good too, and I am not complaining of the others, just about that one. The 7i with full bs can lose like 8 yds, 6i like 10-12, and the 5i can lose some more.... against the wind maybe as much as 25-30 yds... and so on... The PW responds very well to bs, and the 9i also loses a few yds... but that one is the black sheep... have hit it against a strong wind and sometimes goes passed the club distance if I don't use bs and with a mild wind ... I have used 1/2 bs and even more but it goes either the same distance or lost 1 or 2 yds. In very few  occasions I have really lost a reasonable distance. But maybe just me and my good luck...:-)

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 4:22 AM

I have to agree with Soyel1. That club is unpredictable at best. Even out of 20/30 rough it sometimes will go farther than the rating even with low wind.

Calloway z ball

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:31 AM

A couple of minutes ago I played hole 7 Oakmont.. was 147 yards from hole... no feet up or down... 11 mph wind against...and I mean headwind....!!!!! Used 1/4 bs, knowing it was gonna go passed, but fearing .. went 154 yds!!!!  why not better write 155 in it?

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:55 AM

I'm going to say I understand you problem because the burner 2.0 irons are worse! I play the 8 iron like it is rated at 153 yds instead of 145 (8 yds!!!) and it works out fin most of the time. Just find the real distance and play from that...

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:20 AM

Your lucky it's just one club giving you grief.

I think i've been given someone elses clubs today. there all over the place.

• PAGES
RSS