Help › Forums

Putting Averages

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 21 2011 2:03 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Blackwood
    32 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 3:03 PM

Thanks for the elucidation nivlac and Infinito!  I wish they would use a rolling average though instead of keeping my records based on 13,000+ putts.  It would indeed be more meaningful.  Anyway, now I know how to interpret the numbers.  I really don't have time to keep a spreadsheet on everything... that's what I rely on WGT to do.

• JDtrailblazer
    1 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:45 PM

I like having the stats.

I have screwed up my stats while learning to play here. Now that I have a better grasp of the action and controls, it would be nice to reset and play as well as I can while creating my new stats.

Thanks

JD

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:08 AM

Kudos for cracking this WGT brain teaser. Just my opinion -- the stats do not help me much. Would it not be better to have stats like % of putts made within each distance? As in of all putts I have faced within 0-5 feet, what % do I make. Even better break it into 0-3, 3-6 and so on.

It would help be narrow my strengths and weaknesses. Thoughts?

• Wazuka
    26 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:39 AM

I have a slight problem with my putting stats, which claim the following: 

Putting Avg. Per Hole                             1.76

Putting Avg. Per Round                         21.13

The first number would result into an average of 31.68 putts per round (sounds quite realistic to me), but the statistics want to make me believe that I'm the world's best putter ever - holing more or less nearly every putt. Nonono, there must be something wrong for sure! 

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:39 AM

Wazuka:

I have a slight problem with my putting stats, which claim the following: 

Putting Avg. Per Hole                             1.76

Putting Avg. Per Round                         21.13

The first number would result into an average of 31.68 putts per round (sounds quite realistic to me), but the statistics want to make me believe that I'm the world's best putter ever - holing more or less nearly every putt. Nonono, there must be something wrong for sure! 

The putting average per round can be a little deceiving in that you have both 9 hole and 18 hole rounds combined in that average. What would be better is if they had a 9 hole average and 18 hole average. Right now the more 9 hole rounds you play the lower the putting average per round is going to be and the more 18 holes rounds played  the higher the average will be.

• Wazuka
    26 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 2:03 AM

Oh my, thanks for the quick reply. This certainly explains it. As a physicist I know about stats and I know that you should never trust them as long as you didn't fake'em by yourself. But anyhow, I would just never had such a strange idea of mixing up 9 and 18 hole rounds, because then this number does not mean anything anymore. Such kinds of stats are only made by medical doctors when they try to justify something new ... ;-) 

• PAGES
RSS