Forums

Help › Forums

R11 set v. K15 set v. just Driver & Irons upgrade

Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:15 AM (25 replies)
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:43 AM

Like so many fledgling players, I'm in the process of deciding what path to take for upgrading my clubs.  My current set:

Driver: Starter Plus
    Wood: Ping 2010 Rapture V2
    Hybrid: Starter
    Irons: Starter Plus
    Wedge 1: TaylorMade Z Satin 54
    Wedge 2: TaylorMade Z Satin 60
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider

After reading post after post, I'm not really concerned with the hybrid and am keeping in mind the idea of adding one more wedge to the bag.

In terms of upgrading, I'm debating buying either the full R11 set or the K15 set. The other option I'm thinking about is just updating the Driver and Iron set.  I'm on a budget to afford the K15 set when I hit level 38.

As a player, I consistently hit everything but the wedges on or very close to the ding, but I'm still not used to the speed of the wedges.  From what I've read, too, it is forgiveness that gives a little more wiggle room when it comes to the ding.

Any advice/suggestions/opinions are very welcome!

Thanks 

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:06 AM

I will try my best as I have not used those particular clubs, but IMO the R11s are the much superiour club.

10 more yrds in the irons, 1.5 more dots of precision, 1 more dot of spin, the forgiveness is less, but that comes when precision is higher.   The meter speed of the r11s will be a bit faster the you are used to in irons, but they are slower then your current wedges.   If you are on a budget, I would lean towards the r11 driver and irons. 

Good luck,

b0gey

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:06 AM

When I was a Pro (now TP), I tried the 9.5° Rapture Driver and didn't buy it. Its length seemed too long for the Pro (and TP) tees, bringing more trouble than help. Of course, a free rental weekend wasn't long practice.

Maybe a good iron set with high trajectory might have a better effect on your game at this stage than a driver because you might have less roll on the greens. It might also replace the hybrid clearing a space for another wedge if you like.

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:00 AM

member for 2 1/2 year and just 41 ranked raunds???????

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:19 AM

peoch:

member for 2 1/2 year and just 41 ranked raunds???????

That's an incredibly helpful comment - Thanks. (I joined a long time ago, but never really played - not that I need to justify)

For those with ACTUALLY helpful comments, thanks.

I was leaning towards the R11s with the idea that I'll have to adapt to a higher meter speed as I level up as well - the reasoning is sound.

So the question still would be whether to buy the club set (DR - 9i) or just the iron set.  Also, in terms of adding a wedge, I already have a 54 degree (85 yards) and 60 degree (65 yards) - Should I go with a wedge with more distance or less distance?  I'm thinking less, perhaps, since I'll be looking at a PW that will be 100-105.

Thanks again.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:33 AM

pUGfANmn:
    So the question still would be whether to buy the club set (DR - 9i) or just the iron set.  Also, in terms of adding a wedge, I already have a 54 degree (85 yards) and 60 degree (65 yards) - Should I go with a wedge with more distance or less distance?  I'm thinking less, perhaps, since I'll be looking at a PW that will be 100-105.

Depends on your budget, but buying just the driver and irons is 3395cr, for another 105cr you can also get the 3wd and hybrid.   You can then sell back your existing 3wd for a minimal amount. 

I would stick with two wedges for now, with the r11s you will have a PW with 110 yds, and using the punch effectively for that club you should be able to eliminate any yardage gaps.

With all this said, you can also buy balls to slow your meter down to an acceptable speed for yourself, with many being inexpensive yet effective.   The higer the feel on a golf ball the more it will slow down your meter for all clubs, the starter balls you are playing are like lightning in terms of meter speed!

If you want to play a round sometime look me up!

Good luck,

b0gey

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:09 PM

Agreed - go with the R11 set (this coming from someone who opted for the K15 set) as it will last you a little longer.  Buy the full R11 set and then sell the hybrid and your Rapture 3 wood.  Then insert the 50 yard starter lob wedge instead of the hybrid.  When you reach level 39 you can then get the TM Satin 50 yard 64degree wedge to replace the starter (best 250 credits you will ever spend). 

When you do rank up and need a little more distance from a new driver you can buy the G20 Ping at level 59+ for an added 20 yards over the R11 but should hopefully be able to continue to use all of your other existing clubs.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:19 PM

b0geybuster:

These dots do not accurately define these clubs.

The K15s are amazing irons if you learn how to play them. R11s have always been more popular on WGT because they came out long before the K15s so there is a follow the herd mentality as far as that goes.

Here's the truth about K15s regardless of what the dots say...

Long irons (3and 4i) have a high trajectory and excellent stopping power. This is exactly what you look for in long irons. The 4 iron, with full backspin, will still play from 40-50% rough, but not the 3i.

The 3i, to a level, very fast green, with no wind, with full backspin, will fly 185-188 yards and roll out less than 3 yards (with a Callaway S)

With a centerball hit under the same conditions, the ball will fly 175-180 yards and roll out to 195 - 200 yards.

Mid Irons (5, 6, and 7i) have less stopping power, but still very good., and excellent playability from the rough (with backspin bringing the clubs almost up to their stated yardage in 20-25% rough)

With full backspin, using the same conditions as stated above, the 7i will fly 142 yards exactly and roll out a couple feet. Callaway S ball again...

With a centerball hit, the 7i will fly 138-140 and roll out to 153-156

Short Irons (8, 9, and PW) have almost no stopping power, but you can finesse the ball flight with a combination of backspin and power. Amazing clubs from the rough with backspin! They will fly high and land within 2-5 yards of their stated yardage from 20-25% rough, and they will only lose 5-10% of distance from 25-30% rough.

With full backspin, same conditions as above, the 105 yard PW will fly 104 and roll out to 107. With a center ball hit, it will fly 103 and roll out to 108

Another interesting anomaly with the short irons is their imperviousness (Imperviosity?) to wind ability to stay on line. If you play a lot of St. Andrews or RSG, these short irons just don't get pushed around as much other irons.

These irons are both more accurate and less forgiving than what the dots tell you.

More accuracy with dinged shots. If you ding these irons, they are going where you tell them to go. Every time. Play with some other irons and you'll find this isn't always true.

If you miss the ding by more than a hair, the ball can wander off quite a bit, but if you miss the ding by a lot, it doesn't get a ton worse.

The upside to all this is the easy ability to hit the ding. The meter is so slow, you can get up and make a sandwich, then sit down, send your mother an email, then get back to the game in time to hit the ding.

These irons got me to legend and I'm not sure I'm getting rid of them any time soon.

My advice is buy that extra 10 yards with another driver or 3w, but learn to play the K15s, they're the most underrated irons on WGT.

Edit:

Just wanted to add that I also use a 90 yard (56 degree), 75 yard (60 degree), and 60 yard (64 degree) wedge.

Learning how and when to punch a wedge is vital to your success, as bogeybuster alluded to, but I disagree (respectfully) on only using 2 wedges.

Inside 100 yards is where you want all the options you can get. If it was possible, I would get rid of the K15 PW and go with 100, 90, 75, and 60 yard Pings.

That combination would give me full swing and punch, with centerball and backspin options at: 100, 95, 91, 90, 85, 83, 79, 75, 74, 68, 62, 60, 58, 52, 49, and 46 yards.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 3:52 PM

Great write up godelescher.  As I said I had never played them.  

godelescher:
    That combination would give me full swing and punch, with centerball and backspin options at: 100, 95, 91, 90, 85, 83, 79, 75, 74, 68, 62, 60, 58, 52, 49, and 46 yards.

You wouldn't believe how many people dont use the punch to fill these gaps.

godelescher:
    Learning how and when to punch a wedge is vital to your success, as bogeybuster alluded to, but I disagree (respectfully) on only using 2 wedges.

I had only suggested two wedges as he is a pro but the need for a 3rd will definetely be required later.

Cheers,

b0gey

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:14 PM

my second post didnt get in sorry dont mean to b rude. i say go for the R11 set u can use them up to LEGEND tier. sorry again 

RSS