Forums

Help › Forums

Master Drivers: G10 vs R9

Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:03 AM (59 replies)
  • SWoods
    62 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:06 AM

I like the idea of the 285/290 high risk/reward driver but should it be another driver of can it be added to the existing driver. Something like turbopower. Like in real life, you choose a smooth swing and get straight shots but not the extreme distance but every once in a while you can fire up some additional power. Of course it does not always go straight then. 

So on the regular driver itself, an option to fire up extra yardage but at the risk of minimal forgiveness for mishits. Whatsay?

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:08 AM

Ok, I just tested this theory a bit.  Bought the Ping driver and played it for 1 round in BPB 18 ready go.  Hit 13 of 14 fairways with only miss coming from a meter spike on 11 but still managed a birdie from the 30 40 rough.  Posted 60 in the tournament which is pretty solid.  Definitely more precision on the driver.  Dinged shots actually went where I aimed.  Hurt me on 7 not being able to make the green in regulation with a crosswind but still managed par.

I think I will play the Ping driver on BPB where there is such a premium on accurate tee shots and play my TM on Kiawah and St Andrews where fairways are more forgiving and extra yardage affords more opportunities for eagles.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:18 AM

Snaike:

Wow.... 5 hours later and not one soul has pounced on that line...

The restraint these days is impressive.  Must be the new moderator and/or his big stick!

I don't think there was anything there worth the effort.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:22 AM

salamii:
    I don't think there was anything there worth the effort

LOL-It did make me think of Wile E. Coyote on his Acme rocket. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:48 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Ping driver........BPB ........Definitely more precision on the driver.  Dinged shots actually went where I aimed

Also think this might be the one place to play it as well.  My concern isn't so much for the dinged shots.  Dinged drives are money for the most part.  My weighing factor would be the slight misses.  Does the G10 hold more fairways for you on the 1 to 2 mm misses?  If that's the case then I see the argument for bagging it on BPB to favor an increase in 1 to 2 more fairways hit.

At least I also know that, with the right wind, there's also a chance I can drive to the left of the bunker on 9 leaving me with a sweet approach for bird.  Typically that's a tough bugger to stick from behind the bunker.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:19 PM

jakestanfill7:
    Definitely more precision on the driver.  Dinged shots actually went where I aimed. 

It is true and perhaps the source of my comments, inasmuch that I did it in reverse; that is to say I used the G10 first, became used to its capability prior to trying the R9. It is hard for me to give up on something reliable in favor of something that brings only 5 to 7 additional, directionally unreliable yards to the table.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:28 PM

distance > accuracy when your target is 30 yards wide.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:15 PM

OaktheToke:
    oes the G10 hold more fairways for you on the 1 to 2 mm misses?  If that's the case then I see the argument for bagging it on BPB to favor an increase in 1 to 2 more fairways hit.

Played the Ping a few times now and misses definitely stayed closer to the target.  First time I played BP again with TM I aimed up the right on #2, pulled it 2 clicks and hit the dreaded tree on the left.  I also flew the bunker on #9 with Ping and a 12 tailwind.  Jury's still out for me as I do love the distance of the TM but you don't have to BS the Ping to get altitude as it is already built in. 

I'd like to play it a few more times against an opponent with the TM to share shot hit (i.e. no spin, BS, dinged, etc.) but no doubt the Ping doesn't deviate on slight misses.  I won't play the Ping on STA because high trajectory poses some problems in high winds and the fairways are so wide there.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:41 PM

I play to deliberately  miss the ding to draw and fade shots and love the R9 and would use the G10 the same way.But it amazes me to think you guys rely on dinging your shot every time.

CSC

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 1:46 AM

chipshotcharlie:

I play to deliberately  miss the ding to draw and fade shots and love the R9 and would use the G10 the same way.But it amazes me to think you guys rely on dinging your shot every time.

CSC

I have always played in the manner of early/late hit mentality. With a new break-in of clubs, that have a different spectrum of success/safety capability, I must persue the exact hit goal first to experience the sides of each new coin.

RSS