Help › Forums

Re: WGT "U.S. OPEN @ Olympic"

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 19 2012 7:07 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 12:36 PM

My Father qualified for the 1977 US OPEN at Southern Hills, in Tulsa. He was a very good 2 at the time. His 76-78 was not so good...bye...I think Hubert Green was the winner...not sure. 

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 12:40 PM

It's a bit frustrating though that, as a master, I can shoot a 67 and be nowhere near qualifying.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 1:37 PM

saltiresfan:

It's a bit frustrating though that, as a master, I can shoot a 67 and be nowhere near qualifying.

You do have the clubs to qual (IMO), I qualed at CCC last year with G10 woods and Irons and Tour SD balls, about a week or so after turning Legend.

Thing is, as RUNWME mentioned, you're going to have to really work on all aspects of your game on that course, you just can't wait for the "perfect round".

Also, I recall someone saying this (let's equate it to the current cutline at 59).

"It's not about shooting a 59, it's about making 11 birdies and no bogies"

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 3:41 PM

Things can come together in a perfect round though. I'd never shot better than 1 under at Bethpage before and made a 58 there earlier this week birdieing almost every hole on the back 9.

Having just upgraded my irons I know I can't hide behind excuses about Legends having better equipment. Basically I'm pretty sound tee to green but my putting, especially at Olympic, isn't good enough.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 6:33 PM

saltiresfan:
    Basically I'm pretty sound tee to green but my putting, especially at Olympic, isn't good enough.

My approach at Oly was not to worry about sticking it to 3 feet, but play shots I thought would be within 10 feet.

The course putts much better inside 10 feet than from 20 feet.

Best of luck!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 7:07 PM

@OP

The major tournaments are for the Legend players to win because that's where the equipment and experience is to be a winner.

• PAGES
RSS