Help › Forums

WGT "U.S. OPEN @ Olympic"

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 19 2012 7:07 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 9:21 AM

Just a couple of thoughts here concerning this U.S. OPEN Tournament.  In looking at the LEADERBOARD that's posted.....the leader's score is 53....that's -17 UNDER PAR.  I believe this WGT member hit 17 Birdies to get this low score.  And, of course, this member is a LEGEND...which, I think is fantastic - my congratulations go to everyone who has achieved the "Legend Tier"!!!

My question is......Is it really FAIR for all WGT members to even attempt to compete in this compeition?  Well, obviously there are a wide range of abilities among all WGT members....and many LEVELs....from HACK to LEGEND.  It just doesn't seem "possible" for even "TOUR MASTERS" to be able to WIN this U.S. OPEN competition against the LEGENDS who enter.

I guess, I'm just wondering WHY this U.S. OPEN wasn't set up so that there could be WINNERS in several LEVELS......Legend, Tour Master, Master, Tour Pro & Pro?  I actually have not entered many tournaments....It's my understand that there are WGT tournaments who award "winnings" to various levels in some other tournaments.

Hey, I'm NOT complaining here...I'm really NOT.  I just feel that I now "understand" what it takes to achieve the "LEGEND TIER".....and that it's virtually impossible for WGT members in other TIERS to really compete with the LEGENDS. 

Why didn't WGT just come right out and say........this U.S. OPEN Tournament is for LEGENDS only???  Because, if any other WGT members believe they really have a chance to compete or win here.....are just kidding themselves....*smile*

Bob

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 9:27 AM

BOBTX61:
    WINNERS in several LEVELS......Legend, Tour Master, Master, Tour Pro & Pro? 

Sandbagers would have a field day with that

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 9:46 AM

Isn't the idea of the 'Open' that everyone can compete, not that everyone can win? This is one of the 'majors', only the best will/should win.

On a side note, I do wonder what the best scores in the open are for each tier. Being from Legend tees and with tournament greens (although I've read people say they're closer to very fast) it would be interesting to know. I'm not going to qualify but I put in an impressive (I think so anyway) round of 63 with a 252yard driver and 2 bogeys.

• swannyxx
    303 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 9:50 AM

BOBTX61:
    Why didn't WGT just come right out and say........this U.S. OPEN Tournament is for LEGENDS only???  Because, if any other WGT members believe they really have a chance to compete or win here.....are just kidding themselves....*smile*
    Why didn't the PGA just come right out and say the US OPEN is for the best players in the world? Because any other member of the USGA  really don't have a chance in hell of competing.

Okay enough with my sarcastic remarks.With all of the threads on this site about the topic. it's about time for those people to lose the pampers and understand yes that the open on this site is for the best players and just learn to live with it.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 10:11 AM

I think experience with with long irons, etc, is the key.

Many TM's, Masters, etc with the R11's, are just not used to hitting a lot of 3woods into greens and 3/4/5 iron approach shots.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 10:13 AM

BOBTX61:
    Why didn't WGT just come right out and say........this U.S. OPEN Tournament is for LEGENDS only???

How would that be fair to the kajillion TM's, Masters, Tour Pros, Pros, Amateurs, & Hacks that are level 85+ ?  They'd all have these same clubs as legends, and only be stuck using the from the shorter tees.

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 10:37 AM

MBaggese:

I think experience with with long irons, etc, is the key.

Many TM's, Masters, etc with the R11's, are just not used to hitting a lot of 3woods into greens and 3/4/5 iron approach shots.

You hit it dead on the head Mike. Lower levels  aren't as experienced playing the longer approach shots.   If a pro - tourmaster wants to be competitive, play the qualifier 18 holes a few times each day. Learn the putts and approach shots.  Hit into and out of bunkers and trees and take lots of notes. There is no reason a lower tier can't be competitive. It will take more work than most would invest.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 11:36 AM

In real life it takes a 1.4 handicap or lower to even be allowed into the Local and Sectional qualifiers for the U.S. Open.  So that's pretty exclusionary, too.  Though the Grand Prize for winning the WGT Virtual U.S. Open is a trip to next year's Open... AND another free trip, just the same, is awarded to one of us other klutzes via a random drawing just for attempting to qualify.

And on that note I want to congratualate my local friend Luke Bennett for winning a spot in the Sectional Qualifying for the Open.  He did it yesterday in a 7-way playoff!  Go Luke!  Luke, are you reading this? 

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 12:14 PM

barbarella24:

Isn't the idea of the 'Open' that everyone can compete, not that everyone can win? This is one of the 'majors', only the best will/should win.

On a side note, I do wonder what the best scores in the open are for each tier. Being from Legend tees and with tournament greens (although I've read people say they're closer to very fast) it would be interesting to know. I'm not going to qualify but I put in an impressive (I think so anyway) round of 63 with a 252yard driver and 2 bogeys.

No actually the "Open" in the U.S. Open means that the tournament is open to professionals. This originated when many invitationals excluded pros from playing. Why? Golf at the time was like tennis and for the Idle rich. The early pros were not well thought of, they were considered club players below the dignity of the amateurs that played in the invitationals or considered hustlers out to make a quick buck. 

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2012 12:21 PM

Another thread on this? Ughhhhh....... think we have enough.

HAWK

• PAGES
RSS