Re: ryder cup

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 29 2012 11:43 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:19 PM

CerinoDevoti:

How many of the Euros play on the American Tour full time?

Well, unless I'm completely mistaken...the World #1, the World #2 , the World #4 and the World # 8  all do....isn't that enough for you...I mean, I know we're making the PGA tour look better....or maybe, we're making it look bad to dominate it so much?...which is it?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 5:40 AM

Ducati916:

CerinoDevoti:

Well, unless I'm completely mistaken...the World #1, the World #2 , the World #4 and the World # 8  all do....isn't that enough for you...I mean, I know we're making the PGA tour look better....or maybe, we're making it look bad to dominate it so much?...which is it?

That's kind of my point. I'm not sure why the op decided to get the trash talking started so early but for me the euros are guys I see and want to see play well all the time. It's not like some years ago when here in the States we didn't see the euro players very much. Then it had a much greater feel of us vs them. Now the Ryder Cup is no more than the Elite Country Club Tavistock Cup Matches. Most of the players live and play here. I know them, see them play every week and like them because I know they play very well. It's hard to build up any animosity for the sake of rivalry or competition against the euros IMO.

Other than the goldfish in the socks, I got nothing. ;-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:21 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    trash talking started so early

Yeah,lets wait till a good slanging match will make us feel better..It WILL happen !! Andy

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:58 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Ducati916:

CerinoDevoti:

That's kind of my point. I'm not sure why the op decided to get the trash talking started so early but for me the euros are guys I see and want to see play well all the time. It's not like some years ago when here in the States we didn't see the euro players very much. Then it had a much greater feel of us vs them. Now the Ryder Cup is no more than the Elite Country Club Tavistock Cup Matches. Most of the players live and play here. I know them, see them play every week and like them because I know they play very well. It's hard to build up any animosity for the sake of rivalry or competition against the euros IMO.

Cerino,

I think there's two schools of thought here.

1.)  you're right...and as the younger Euro players may go to school in America, take up residence and play on the PGA tour...they become more familiar with the U.S. lifestyle and layers and it becomes more of the "Tavistock" atmosphere...it wil be interesting to see as time goes by if this is true.

or.

2.) It never was, isn't, and will never be a Tavistock Cup to the Euro's and that thought is why moretalented U.S. temas in te past got beaten...and sometimes quite badly, by less talented players with more fire inside than the U.S. could even think about.  The press always said that the actal U.S. players burned for the win..but, i never really showed very much (outside of that no lipped bloke--Leonard-- sinking that putt and the team going wild on the green).

Regardless, I think the skill level of the Euro players is much much greater than it ever was across the whole team, as opposed to 2-4 strong players and 8 other names....I hink the U.S. team is no better than it ever was in the past,and arguably, a little thinner on the great players.  It will be fun to watch in person---that much I am dead sure of...

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 7:31 AM

Ducati916:

CerinoDevoti:

Ducati916:

CerinoDevoti:

Cerino,

I think there's two schools of thought here.

1.)  you're right...and as the younger Euro players may go to school in America, take up residence and play on the PGA tour...they become more familiar with the U.S. lifestyle and layers and it becomes more of the "Tavistock" atmosphere...it wil be interesting to see as time goes by if this is true.

or.

2.) It never was, isn't, and will never be a Tavistock Cup to the Euro's and that thought is why moretalented U.S. temas in te past got beaten...and sometimes quite badly, by less talented players with more fire inside than the U.S. could even think about.  The press always said that the actal U.S. players burned for the win..but, i never really showed very much (outside of that no lipped bloke--Leonard-- sinking that putt and the team going wild on the green).

Regardless, I think the skill level of the Euro players is much much greater than it ever was across the whole team, as opposed to 2-4 strong players and 8 other names....I hink the U.S. team is no better than it ever was in the past,and arguably, a little thinner on the great players.  It will be fun to watch in person---that much I am dead sure of...

Re:2. I agree in the past it seemed the euros wanted to win the thing way more than the Americans. It looked like they needed it to validate themselves on the world golf stage. Now, I see those guys all the time. I agree about the entire talent level of the euro team. Fantastic bunch of players and fun to watch as well. They're more than well validated at this point.  Rory is an amazing player and I can't help but cheer him on. There's been something about Sergio I've always liked too. Poulter kicks azz. I could go on and on. It ends up killing my desire to see an American bulldozing of the euros when I really like so many of the players on the other side. I wish Mrs DoubtFire was the captian of the euro team this year. Then we could really get into some fun trash talking. ;-)

Enjoy your trip to the matches. Wish I could go too.

• ladzrls
    286 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 11:43 AM

having re-read my post im struggling to see any trash talking, i thought i was talking about course set up but if that offended you then i apologise fellow golfer

i also talked about the standard of driving overall in golf  for all plyrs, the only real needle was the americans who failed to play at carnoustie because fairways were tough to hit and the rough would not allow easy shots out to green , not trash talkin just stating a fact, i tihnk that ties into the way the american captain has chosen to have the course setup.

again all cool over here and cant w8 for it to happen hope you enjoy aswell but not as much as me

regards

ladzrls

• PAGES
RSS