Forums

Help › Forums

Re: backspin downwind

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:06 PM (2 replies)
  • gippertime
    38 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:00 PM

Anyone have any idea about how backspin regularly affects downwind shots.  When I first started using backspin with the driver I was getting more carry, and sometimes more distance, but I was using it to stick my drives in certain tight fairways.  But lately with the long irons I have been finding that backspin is severely hurting my carry in down wind situations.  Is this how everyone else seems to finding it?  I'm just trying to get a feel for spin in certain situations.  I'm using the nike s ball because I like the spin and the feel on the greens.  I didn't save the replay, but the shot that really caught me off guard was a 190 club full, 10mph downwind to a hole a yard uphill (185 yds).  I hit it on the ding and it carried about 175.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Cheers,

The Gip

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2013 8:49 AM

Generally speaking a tailwind will "beat the ball down" and a headwind will "balloon" it upwards.

The higher the level of spin on the ball you are using , the more drastic this will appear, especially once backspin is applied..

My 2 cents :-)

• gippertime
    38 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:06 PM

Generally speaking a tailwind will "beat the ball down" and a headwind will "balloon" it upwards.

Sounds about right.  I've just been getting inconsistent results particularly downwind, but I suppose the answer is just don't us as much spin or none at all.  

Thanks for the reply liz!

Cheers,

Gip

RSS