Forums

Help › Forums

Re: computer RAM

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:38 AM (5 replies)
  • pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:02 AM

To all you techy folks out there,i am using a new samsung laptop 2.4 ghz processor,6 gbram blah blah.I can go upt to 16gb ram will i notice any difference?wot will it do to benifit my laptop?

tyvm for your replies

pdx

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:35 AM

any body?

• Elknoxious
    1,123 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:42 AM

Speaking for myself.  I currently have 8gb of ram and I notice when my ram gets full the game will start to stutter more often.  I don't think you will notice much of an improvement in the game unless you have lots of stuff running on your computer.  I am not sure on a Windows but on a mac you can see how much ram is being used.  

I try to keep the circle mostly green (which tells me how much free ram I have available) when I play.  

I would try to find a similar app to tell you how much of your ram is being used.  If you find that you are maxing out your ram then I would upgrade.  If you are not maxing out your ram, then I don't believe you will notice much of an improvement.

I am no expert on the subject.  Just my two cents. 

Elk

Edit:  You may benefit more by increasing the speed of your ram instead of increasing the capacity of the ram.  Here is where I would start looking.  

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:10 AM

If your Ram gets full while your playing this game, then you've got too many things running at the same time in the background. This game uses extremely little Ram and is mostly played through CPU loading. Hence programs running in the background will cause more of a load on your CPU not giving enough space for this game to load it's files effectively and a longer loading time through it. Anything loading through your CPU while swinging will cause meter stutter.

Try having a CPU/RAM meter or your Task Manager running while playing you will see what I mean.

OP...Having more ram is pretty much always a good thing and depends on what your using it for but it will not help with this game. Other games it will.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:18 AM

pdxdriver:
    To all you techy folks out there,i am using a new samsung laptop 2.4 ghz processor,6 gbram blah blah.I can go upt to 16gb ram will i notice any difference?wot will it do to benifit my laptop?

Brand new computers come loaded with RAM eating programs that automatically run on startup. 6GB RAM is way more than enough to play but if you have those factory installed programs starting up all the time you pretty much shoot yourself in the foot. 

Start/Run/msconfig. Go to the startup tab and uncheck the programs you don't want or need to start up. Leave Microsoft and Intel alone, you'll mess your computer up. Anything else you can safely uncheck and watch how fast your reboot goes. 

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:38 AM

cheers fellas,i will give it a shot,if it goes belly up i'm sending it over to you to put right :)

RSS