Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Off-Topic Bicycle Help Needed

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 3 2013 1:21 AM (7 replies)
  • josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 9:46 PM

Hello, hopefully some of you on here ride mountain bicycles or other types and can help me. Recently obtained a wider handlebar for my 1996 Mongoose Hill-topper MTB. And after spreading the handlebar clamp far enough forward to slide it through I now can not get the clamp bolt to reach back far enough to secure it to the stem. It's off by maybe a 1/2 inch. Could I just go to the hardware store and buy a longer one?

Or would that weaken the stem at the point were the bolt is inserted?

Here is a similar picture of my handlebars I found on the web.

Thanks for any help as I need to fix this problem before Monday when I go back to work.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 9:56 PM

If the bolts not long enough, buy a longer one that size that should work. It may be a special bolt too I don't know.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:01 PM

The longer bolt itself won't hurt.

Alas, the whole clamp may be weakened already by the spreading as you applied plastic deformation on this aluminium part, followed by re-deformation while tightening the screw. The clamping connection may be weakened if the inner and outer forms do not fit well any more due to a different diameter of the bar, and remember that a wider bar applies higher forces to the connection during the rides.

Thus, drive gently!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:29 PM

I agree longer screws should work but as Alosso says, watch for metal stress - ie splits or cracks, Aluminium is fairly pliable so should be ok, but double check after it is re-tightened. Make sure you have a test run before work on Monday

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:02 PM

It's probably a stove bolt, maybe case hardened, so make sure you use the same. 

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:11 PM

Thank you all for replying. I know for certain that the stem is pretty strong while I was bending it, possibly chromoly or even steel. Here is a picture of the handle bar I am trying to make fit.

I sure hope I can but will put the original back If I ca not. this one is just a little wider and will relieve some stress in my arms and back. The original seems to narrow for my long distance riding 5 days a week. This one is stamped as Carbon Fiber but feels like aluminum underneath.

Thanks Again       Update: found this info on the web

Handlebar Stem    Mongoose Sport rise, chromoly

Joe

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:38 PM

To be clear, I do not doubt the bar but the clamp / clamping.

Steel is of course stronger and IMHO less sensible to plastic deformation. You may want to look for some proof of the material used for stem/clamp.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 1:21 AM

Get one of these!

Or maybe a new stem/clamp to be safe!

RSS