Help › Forums

Re: not good without match play

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 12 2013 12:44 PM (6 replies)
  • giorgos1976
    14 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 1:53 PM

Hi all

I am a Pro tier player and I enjoy WGT pretty much. I try to improve my game but that comes with time and proper practice - play. I see that no matter how good you might be at stroke plays, you can't really be a good player if you don't acquire match play experience.

The stress of the battle gives the best practice around. Feel, judgement, accuracy and character is needed to improve seriously our game, before we start winning frequently.

Just pointing out an important element of the game. Without challenge things cannot be best. I like match play much !!

Wish all the virtual golfers of our community the best!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:06 AM

I agree that matchplay is good, partly because you can also learn from other players. When I was at lower tiers I found many higher players would give me tips.

I personally never find any game stressful as I purely play for fun, win or lose I still enjoy.

But I did look at your stats, and noted a few things. You really need to work on hitting more greens in regulation. but when you do miss (over 50% of the time) you don;t get up and down. In a nutshell this is where you need to put the game into practice mode and play the par 3 course and try all types of shots around the greens and bunkers and take notes to see what works for you. Then your putting - search the forums for hints as this is the other area that you need to focus on.

As soon as you master these your scores (and matchplay wims) will improve drastically. If you want a hit one time and I am on I will happily play.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 2:00 AM

Your sand save stats are pretty poor Alanti. :-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:24 AM

courteneyfish:

lol, let's play nice....

Sometimes stats are useless, I know he played starter clubs for ages as did I and we all know how good those wedges are....

My sand save says 53% but that takes into account the 1000s of learning strokes, in reality it's more like 90% now.

Another reason for stats in tiers not just overall.

Andy

• giorgos1976
    14 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:44 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed I have to work more on hitting greens, just like I have to improve my putting seriously. I am not in a hurry though. I know my tempo of learning. You can't avoid time and of course the talent needed to advance into higher tiers.

Thanks for the proposition too. I'll send you a friend request and I;ll more than happy to play a game with you.

ps: I bought my set of clubs when I reached a mid 40 level. I wanted to get a feel of the game. The starters could not give me much, so it was unavoidable. Next buy, when I reach the master tier.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:31 AM

alanti:

In a nutshell this is where you need to put the game into practice mode and play the par 3 course and try all types of shots around the greens and bunkers and take notes to see what works for you.  

^ This is superb advice. I've found for the lack of a practice area the par 3 course works perfectly. I miss all the greens purposely then try to play the course in par(or better) working on bunker play and getting up and down from the rough around the greens.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2013 12:44 PM

courteneyfish:

I cannot deny that Courtney but I did use the starters clubs for a year until I made master - and both sand and scrambling stats were appalling. They are slowly both creeping up (although luckily I don't find many bunkers these days) so stats can be very misleading. I personally would like current tier stats as well as career stats shown - these would be very different,

RSS