Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 95 Ford Mustang GT

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:44 AM (4 replies)
  • oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2013 6:48 PM

Just bought this car, original owner, 98,000 miles. He told me never had tune up or any work done! Tempersure gage doesn't work, changed sending unit to the manifold didn't work! 

Any help would be appreciated.  

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Mar 20 2013 12:03 AM

If it's not the sender unit then it's probably the gauge itself. I'd phone around a few scrap yards to see if they have one.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:25 AM

Iconic car, last year for the Ford small block 302..

but, I'd go to a car forum, maybe a Ford one.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:32 AM

oneputtdavid:

Just bought this car, original owner, 98,000 miles. He told me never had tune up or any work done! Tempersure gage doesn't work, changed sending unit to the manifold didn't work! 

Any help would be appreciated.  

You may have changed the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor instead. This is an input to the processor, not the temp gauge. You can tell the difference by the connector. Did what you change have 2 wires in the connector? If it did, that's the wrong one. The temperature sender has just 1 wire going to it.

Before you get crazy over this, make sure the thermostat actually works. A stuck open thermostat will keep that gauge in the cold section. From a cold start, remove the radiator cap and run the engine at 2000 rpms while looking in the radiator. When the thermostat opens you will see the coolant cycle and the upper radiator hose will get warm. If the coolant is visibly coursing through the radiator on cold startup then you know the thermostat is stuck open. 

You got yourself a serious ride there, David. Before you do anything else, get yourself a can of BG44K fuel injector cleaner. You have 8 injectors with very small orifices that plug easily and cause driveability problems. The BG44K is the best cleaner on the market and I have seen firsthand how it works. I was a Ford mechanic for 10 years and specialized in driveability. A set of plugs and a can of that and you're back burning rubber, something really easy to do with that ride.  :-)

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:44 AM

Thx all for your help :)

RSS