Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Planned renovations for st andrews .

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 16 2013 5:36 AM (6 replies)
  • craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Tue, May 14 2013 2:40 AM

Don,t tell WGT .

Phase 1 (Winter 2013)

• On the 2nd hole, the two bunkers right and short of the green will be moved closer to the right edge of the green. The ground to the right of the green will also be recontoured to create more undulations and the width of 3rd tee will be reduced to accommodate this. Two bunkers on the right side of the fairway, near the 3rd Championship tee, will be removed.

• On the 7th, the large depression in the landing area of the fairway will be filled in and a slight mound created. The area to the right of the green will be remodelled to create more undulations.

• On the 11th, the back left portion of the green will be lowered to create more hole location options.

• On the 17th, the Road Bunker will be widened by half a metre at the right hand side and a small portion of the front of the green will be recontoured to enable it to gather more approach shots landing in that area.

Phase 2 (Winter 2014)

• On the 3rd hole, the first fairway bunker on the right will be removed. A new fairway bunker will be added into the bank on the right hand side about 275 yards from the Championship tee.

• On the 4th, the acute spur formation on the left hand side of the fairway will be reduced and the bunker on the right hand side of the green will be moved closer to its edge. The ground to the back right of the green will be recontoured.

• On the 6th, the ground to the right of the green will be recontoured.
    • On the 9th, a fairway bunker will be added short and left of the green, about 25 yards to the left and diagonally towards the green from the last bunker on the right of the fairway.

• On the 15th, the ground to the back right of the green will be recontoured to create more undulations.

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Tue, May 14 2013 2:54 AM

The March Stones

Visitors may notice another distinct Old Course oddity in the form of the small markers—they look much like gravestones—in the middle of fairways (such as the fifth and seventh) and near teeing grounds (such as the second and eleventh). I was puzzled by their presence until I found a second copy of the Plan of Pilmoor Links in the National Archives of Scotland. More legible than the first one I’d encountered, which hangs in the office of the Secretary of the R&A, I discerned from it that “the March Stones with the letter G on the side next to the Golf Course . . . defined the outside limits of the course.” (“March” is an archaic term for “boundary.”) As the layout widened, features that were once at the margins moved closer to the middle. Almost all the stones marked on the plan can still be located, giving an indication of how much the area of the Old Course has increased. My calculations suggest it was just over fifty acres in 1821. It is now over ninety

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Tue, May 14 2013 2:57 AM

The world’s most famous golf course could crumble into the North Sea by the middle of this century, according to a climate change expert.

Professor Jan Bebbington, director of the St Andrews Sustainability Institute, visualises a town where locals remember with sorrow the last Open played on the Old Course, the home of golf.

She also foresees that Scotland will be a nation of car-sharing vegetarians and the declining population due to emigration will be offset by the allocation of 580,000 “climate change refugees

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Thu, May 16 2013 4:23 AM

and every hole to be this shape .

13635_169957488684_835063684_2767472_2043691_n

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Thu, May 16 2013 4:24 AM

and a new design of putter heads to match .

Axis1Putter-05

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Thu, May 16 2013 4:27 AM

3 stooges

Three Stooges Golfing video

…if just need to laugh

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, May 16 2013 5:36 AM

I asked some locals about the modifications while playing the New Course last week. They pointed out some untold revisions on both courses, most visible are clear-cuttings in the gorse. At the Par 3 5th, the alley to the green was widened by at least 2 yards on both sides, in contrary to former official statements that they'd work on protecting these areas.

An ugly sight (temporarily), I can tell.

RSS