Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Cruelty (Oakmont #9)

Fri, Aug 20 2010 1:21 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 7:45 AM

Dano... I've only played Sahalee (IRL) twice.  I did okay on the greens.  It was those tree-lined  fairways that killed me. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:41 AM

Sahalee is one of my favorite places to play. It is pristine to the eye, but looks much tighter than it is. The greens are difficult but very honest. About the only thing I did not appreciate at Sahalee were the scores I posted there.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:57 AM

The few times that I played Sahalee, which were about 10 years ago, were very enjoyable for me.  Th course as SP says looks much tighter than it is, the trees make you feel like they are closing in on you.  It is actually much less tight than a Harbour Town but those towering trees make you feel like the fairway is 8 feet wide.  My problem at Sahalee was the green speed, only Winged Foot was faster and you could never take a run at any putt.  If you missed the green in the rough around the greens, you could forget it, no way to stop your chip shot.  I scored okay during my rounds there but a playing partner had 11 three putts in one round.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 1:13 PM
    Having never had the opportunity to enjoy Winged Foot, I cannot comment. Of the fortunate breath of remarkable courses I've been blessed to play, I have found Parairie Dunes, and Southern Hills to be the most inflexible regarding justice.
  • TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 1:21 PM

I have been lucky enough to play both of those tracts, Southern Hills and Praire Dunes.  While they are fairly similar to each other, I found PD to be the more difficult at least the few times I played it.  Southern Hills is very long with fairly difficult greens, PD isn't as long but we played in the early spring each time and the 'rough' was high and lush.  The rough at Winged Foot is very difficult, both courses don't have cart paths, only allow walking with a caddy, and the rough is pretty much the same thickness and depth as when the Open or PGA is there.  They grow the fairways in for the tournaments but you can be off the fairway 15 feet and have to wedge it back.  Never played anywhere with green speed like WF.

• PAGES
RSS