Help › Forums

Re: New, and could use some help

Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:27 AM (22 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2013 9:25 PM

Bahnzo:

Leaddude:

I, too am a recent devotee to WGT.  I was 4 yards off the green in 30-40 grade rough, and it took me FIVE tries to get the ball on the green.    On three of those tries, the ball DID NOT MOVE. Why not?  What gives?   My NINE carded on that hole, gave me a 44 for the round!

What I've learned is that you have to be careful about your lie and shot type. If you are in the "weeds" or anything 40/50 or worse, then you can't chip or pitch. You need to use a full shot, or punch. It's like they aren't strong enough to power the ball from such a difficult lie. 

30/40 or 40/50 rough....  4yrd from green... then the Flop shot is the shot I use.

If you are in 40/50 rough or higher...  still far away from green... then the safest shot is to aim for fairway and not the green

eg... tee shot goes in heavy rough.... 2nd shot on fairway...not too much further...  3rd shot on and one putt....  well that's the theory...lol    Or Tee shot goes in heavy rough..aim for green...2nd shot in rough... 3rd shot still in the rough... 4th shot short of green...etc.

-Roger

• RKPayne
    213 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:24 PM

Leaddude:

I, too am a recent devotee to WGT.  I was 4 yards off the green in 30-40 grade rough, and it took me FIVE tries to get the ball on the green.    On three of those tries, the ball DID NOT MOVE. Why not?  What gives?   My NINE carded on that hole, gave me a 44 for the round!

I would recommend to never use "chip" in 30-40, or any other rough. I never use it unless I'm on the fringe. In 30-40, if less than 20 yards or so, you can use "pitch", otherwise use "punch" or "full", and hit about 30 percent more than you would in the short grass for the same distance shot.

Cheers......fairways and greens!

Bob

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:27 AM

mantis0014:
    30/40 or 40/50 rough....  4yrd from green... then the Flop shot is the shot I use.

x2

I must admit that pitches and longer chips still need a lot of practice, cause I hardly ever play 'm. Because of the high trajectory (=less roll) I've found from the start the flop to be most valuable to my game, so that's where I've put in most practice. Nearly everything out of 20/30 and 30/40 rough between 35 yrd and about 11 feet from the hole will be flopped, below that I chip if close enough to green, otherwise back to flop again. 20/30 rough 30 yard I flop with my 100yrd cleveland (which gives 38 yard for a flop). Longer or more rough, then punches and full shots come in.

R.

RSS