Forums

Help › Forums

New, and could use some help

Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:27 AM (22 replies)
  • Bahnzo
    20 Posts
    Sun, Jul 14 2013 9:47 PM

Some questions as I've played a few rounds....

1) How can I see the slope on greens when hitting to them? IE: I'm on the tee of a par 3, how can I see the green's contours?

2) When is a good time to upgrade clubs? It seems like it's probably best to wait until a certain level before buying an upgrade. About when is this (considering that I'm poor and can't buy every new upgrade available).

2a) What upgrades are best? Are drivers most important, or are putters...or irons?

3) Balls - I'm just playing with the unlimited balls until I learn the game. But whats a good rule on these upgrades?

4) What's the best advice you could give a new player to this game? I understand (and played) golf. I played a lot of video golf (Anyone remember PGA2000 on the PC?) etc. What advice do you wish someone would've been able to tell you about this particular game when you first started?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have much more, but for now, that'll do. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Jul 14 2013 11:10 PM

1. Sadly only using pitch or chip and moving the aim marker over the green (you can right click an zoom in) and will show the contour of the green (blue.red). Best to take notes of where to aim to and refer back.

.2. Wait as long as possible, as you will find yourself needing to upgrade as you outgrow the clubs. Level 48 get you Raptures that will last through Master, level 58 G20s can carry you to legend.

For me Wedges will see your biggest result in shots saved, followed by a putter.From your tees even a good 3 wood show a marked improvement.but start with wedges (mid level 30s)

Dont worry to much about balls until you upgrade clubs, but start with the cheaper WGT balls and work out which work best for you.

4. Read the chipping and putting tips under the FAQ - its a must. Also search the forums, some great information here.

Oh and did I mention practice, practice and more practice - take notes and practice some more.

• Bahnzo
    20 Posts
    Sun, Jul 14 2013 11:29 PM

Thanks!

1) there really should be more information available. Some (overlay) arrows would really help on the preview hole view, both on fairway and greens. Can't believe this hasn't been implemented. 

2) Should I really wait until lvl 47 until upgrading clubs? Wow, that seems really late, but then I don't know the game at all.

Practice - of course! But it's hard with this game. Practice is even easier in the real game. I mean, you can drop a ball and hit a second shot or place balls on a the practice green and hit putts. In this game there is literally nothing to help with learning distance and wind etc. And don't get me started on lies. The camera angles sometimes are *horrid* when it comes to trying to read a lie...even in the fairway. 

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 7:46 AM

+1 Alan!

Let me add my general phylosophy:

Low level buys tend to become pointless too soon. Whatever you want to buy, look out for the possible better equipment available at a higher level. In general, unless the need for a change is irresistible,

- do not start to buy wedges before level 18,

- do not start to buy a putter before level 30,

- do not buy a putter below 500 credits,

- do not start to buy woods and irons before level 32,

- start buying balls as a Tour Pro, work your way through the list from cheap to expensive. Try to avoid using a ball with higher level than your main clubs.

One possible effective(!) sequence of clubs may be seen in a selection of

L32 R11 (L48 Rapture) - L59 G20 - L79 Bladez (L83 G20) - L90 R11.

(XPs: 12,900 (48,900), 88,500, 200,000 (255,000), 487,000)

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 9:51 AM

I agree !00%. Also IMO a good ball to start with would be WGT G13 D. They will slow your meter somewhat & give a little extra distance. I used them right up to Legend.

• Bahnzo
    20 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 3:11 PM

Thanks again to both of you. I'll certainly take that advice and try to save my hard earned credits. 

• RKPayne
    213 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 5:34 PM

alosso:
    - do not start to buy woods and irons before level 32,

From my experience, I would disagree with that. I upgraded to starter-plus clubs for 99 credits, then to tour starters, all before the Raptures. Just going from starter to starter plus makes a big difference in accuracy and consistency.

My thoughts.

Cheers,

Bob

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 7:19 PM

RKPayne:

From my experience, I would disagree with that. I upgraded to starter-plus clubs for 99 credits, then to tour starters, all before the Raptures. Just going from starter to starter plus makes a big difference in accuracy and consistency.

Actually I partially agree Bob, as you will have a marginally (not a big difference) improved acuracy and consistency and really depends whether the OP has credits to burn. The time it takes to level up is perhaps a few weeks of regular play. If so I would personally opt for the R11s and then move to the G20s. Sure 99 credits isn't much but still a waste if credits are hard to come by and you only use them for a week or two.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 12:01 AM

Thanks for the support, Alan.

To each his own, but the R11 are available at 12.900 XPs, that should be a week from the start for many. Buying and using two minor sets of clubs in that short time certainly is not "effective" in the way I meant it. It rather proves effective marketing by the vendor  :)

• Bahnzo
    20 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:22 PM

Again thanks all! Kinda hard to carry on a conversation when  I have to wait for a mod to approve my posts, hope that ends soon. You'd think that after 4-5 posts you'd be able to tell I'm not just a spambot (hint - mod).

One thing that's really giving me trouble are bunker and rough shots. For some reason I can hit a shot, and it goes 0 feet. And then hit the same shot and it goes 15 yards. I've read everything I can find on chips and lies, etc, but nothing really mentions what the hell is going on here? Are there certain lies you just can't hit a pitch/chip/flop shot from or what? I've had a couple decent rounds ruined by triple bogeys because I hit a shot that goes absolutely nowhere. 

RSS