Forums

Help › Forums

Re: vertical faced bunkers

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:03 PM (8 replies)
  • hogg105
    10 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 7:03 AM

Can anyone out there explain to me how a round object (golf ball) sticks to the vertical or near vertical face of a bunker.i.E St andrews.No doubt many of you have had this experience.Now i just give up the hole .Any commentsanyone.Thanks

• ScottHope
    10,362 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 2:52 PM

Give up the hole, why?  If you're fed up with St Andrews bunkers try out the bunkers on some other courses.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 3:12 PM

hogg105:
    Can anyone out there explain to me how a round object (golf ball) sticks to the vertical or near vertical face of a bunker.

It happens in real golf, so it can happen here, simple.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 3:58 PM

I've had many balls stick in the face of bunkers over the years in real-life golf. It actually happens to someone in our foursomes quite often.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 5:19 PM

hogg- Rather than give up the hole try hitting the ball backwards or sideways into a playable lie (fringe, fairway or even the flatter part of the bunker). You leave yourself with an opportunity to recover from the bad lie and your opponent can always wind up missing a shot.

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:00 PM

The way those bunkers are built in real life is much like a brick wall as well. They don't just pile a bunch of dirt there and shape it. They lay levels of sod one on top of the other, offset like a mason would lay brick, so there are actually tiny little ledges going all the way up the face of alot of those bunkers, not to mention if it is coming in hot it will just plug into the side like those pics

• hogg105
    10 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:12 PM

In reply to your answr to my post.I didn't say I was fed up with St andrews,all I was asking was for an explanation on the subject.Having worked and played on this course in real life I still find it strange that a round ball sticks to a vertical face .I agree a ball could be driven into it and would stick or plug,but the main object is that you play from sand,therefore how can a ball run down a vertical face and stick to it.Very odd.Thanks for all comments on this subject

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:03 PM

I think Sarah Jessica Parker is a vertical faced bunker.......blonde donkey----= blonkey

RSS