Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What time zone?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 24 2013 3:06 AM (8 replies)
  • dacrash
    475 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:14 PM

Today is 12/23/2013, Portland Oregon time, however the game I just finished 5 minutes ago shows as 12/24/2013.  Check the time stamp on this entry, and then check my profile page.  Did I enter an alternate WGT world?  Where did the time line get skewed?  How can I get out of the Matrix?

It's not my computer that time stamps the games so I have to assume that the problem is on WGT's end.

This is not a big issue for me, but I did lose my consecutive days played.  This does not bother me, but WTF is going on?

Someone call Doc Brown.  Gonna need 1.21 jig watts.

Anyone else have the same issue?

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:20 PM

yep lost my consecutive days also :-(

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:24 PM

maybe they hired some sub contractor folks from Greenwich ? 

or sold the wgt to 'cross the ponders :)

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:25 PM

cheeky get lmao .......

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:27 PM

Yup... Alosso made a post about this the other day.

Icon said is very complicated situation....lol.  If they try to fix it... might break it worst.

There you go..................

:-)

Edit:   Someone left the Cracker Jack box open.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:08 PM

dacrash:

Today is 12/23/2013, Portland Oregon time, however the game I just finished 5 minutes ago shows as 12/24/2013.  Check the time stamp on this entry, and then check my profile page.  Did I enter an alternate WGT world?  Where did the time line get skewed?  How can I get out of the Matrix?

It's not my computer that time stamps the games so I have to assume that the problem is on WGT's end.

This is not a big issue for me, but I did lose my consecutive days played.  This does not bother me, but WTF is going on?

Someone call Doc Brown.  Gonna need 1.21 jig watts.

Anyone else have the same issue?

I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before. It's been this way for as long as I've been a member. I live in US EST. The game date is set to UTC(GMT).  So, any game I finish after 7:00pm EST(UTC-5 hours) gets recorded as played the next date. You live in US PST(UTC-8 hours) so any game you finish after 4:00pm PST will be recorded the next date.

Bottom line, if we finish a game after the date change in UTC, we get it recorded as the next date in our own time zone as you see in your score history. The Euros don't see this because they're either on UTC or on the + side of it. The Consecutive Days Played clock is set to UTC. That's where the date stamp comes from.

• dacrash
    475 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 7:23 PM

geraldlarousse:
    Yup... Alosso made a post about this the other day.

Looks like I missed that one.  Thank you.  Good to know it is not just me.  I notice in another reply that this has been happening for quite some time.  I have not noticed this in the 2+ years I've been playing.

geraldlarousse:
    Icon said is very complicated situation....lol.  If they try to fix it... might break it worst

You know, with all the people that play here, there should be at least one person who can help WGT out with their programming.  If you look at the posted job openings, they are looking for programmers.  lol

At least I just leveled up so consecutive days is really not an issue, just that I noticed it and wondered what the heck is up.

Thanks to all for clearing things up a bit for me.

dacrash

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Dec 23 2013 10:12 PM

From what I know, CDP bonus is invariably counted towards GMT = UTC, official tournaments like weeklies and monthlies invariably begin and end in San Francisco time = PST (UTC+8) (oops, UTC-8) or PDT in Summer.

Some have seen a change in the time stamp of score history entries. IMHO they have been in Pacific time, too, but now they are in GMT. Proof has been found that it has been like today since August 2013 at least.

Concerning the time before, there are different opinions. Some say, it has been like today from day one, some say, there has been a change at some time between Aug 2012 and Aug 2013. No proof given yet. I see a good hint in the fact that I found no deviation in my early 2012 scores when I played frequently and more.

Additional proof may be found in your score histories including CTTH entries, Monthlies or Weeklies before August, or in privately saved scores. Montlies are easy to spot, see this example:

09.01.13     August Bali Hai Sweeps         Master     278.9
    09.01.13     August Oakmont's 9-hole Unlimited Tournament  Front 9  Master  34

(August tournies played in Sepember?)

and here is a fantastic example of Weeklies:
    08.05.13     Wk 32 Closest-to-the-hole Challenge    Legend     188.65
    08.05.13     Wk 31 9-hole Unlimited Play     Front 9     Legend     33

Impossible to play two different weeks on one day unless time zones help...

You may spot others by expanding the date to show the day's name.

Edit: The other relevant thread is Days played in Bug Logs.

Edit2: @dacrash: The new date shown is not the reason for a missed CDP but only the proof that the game ended too late, after midnight GMT. Your bad, I'm afraid.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Dec 24 2013 3:06 AM

While looking more closely into some random score histories (1), I found examples of Weeklies played the following Monday from

Aug/Sep 2010
    Dec 2011
    and Apr 2012.

From Jan 2013 on, there are a few proofs of Monthlies played the following 1st.

What's puzzling me is
    - that I've not seen anybody complaining until start December 2013, and
    - that I don't find any proof in my records of 2012 when I played 400+ rounds in Weeklies, and certainly quite a few of these on Mondays GMT.

Since we don't know what and when has possibly been changed back and forth in the program, we (at least me) will have to take it as it is now. "Accept things you cannot change" - good practice in WGTland.

(1) I chose Mexico (UTC -6/-7) because their evening includes midnight GMT, and I randomly chose Tour Pros of different levels from the list who proved to be playing a lot of tournaments in different years.

RSS