Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What is it with golf and curling, ......or.......

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 23 2014 8:14 AM (5 replies)
  • Proruff
    94 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 8:40 PM

....why is curling an Olympic sport and golf isn't?

Hi,

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Canada a lot of country clubs also have curling facilities available.

In Toronto area alone there is Donalda Golf and Curling Club,  Bayview Golf and Country Club, St. Georges Golf and Curling Club, Weston Golf and Curling Club (Arnold Palmer's first tour victory was there), Thornhill Golf and Country Club, Annandale Golf and Curling Club, Scarborough Golf and Country Club, Mississauga Golf and Country Club, and a whole myriad of Golf and Country/Curling clubs.

A lot of the premier curlers in Canada are pretty good golfers (Wayne Middaugh and Russ Howard to name two, and there are many more), and the Norwegians have really done a good job in transferring the typical golf attire to the sheets.

Who else here enjoys the thrills of curling in the winter and golf in the summer? 

(and no guff about curling not being a sport.......how athletic do you have to be to hit a ball with a stick.....)

;)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 9:59 PM

I think the Olympics should go back to including amateur sports only. Anyone agree?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 12:36 AM

courteneyfish:

I think the Olympics should go back to including amateur sports only. Anyone agree?

Agreed. I stopped watching the Olympics the day Ben Johnson was nailed for  steroid use. Sadly not limited to athletics - most professional sports are plagued by drugs.

Now  anyone  who does well in any sport has that  shadow cast upon them, rightly or wrongly.

As for the OP, hell why not have curling, it is great to watch. The first time I saw it played I thought it was a spoof of some sport, funny as hell!!

But at least drug free............or is it?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 6:33 AM

alanti:
    But at least drug free............or is it?

Nope, they're all on ice.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 6:46 AM

I don't believe that curling requires 25 or 30 cameras and 3 hours to complete  a round : > )

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 8:14 AM

Proruff:

(and no guff about curling not being a sport.......how athletic do you have to be to hit a ball with a stick.....)

;)

Lol...yet sliding a rock and sweeping the floor is athletic?  why not jacks...or tiddly winks or hopscotch or tetherball or fishing or racquetball.....etc, etc....  Oh wait...I know....then it would just be Wii Games and not the Olympics.

RSS