Forums

Help › Forums

Re: It is Entirely Possible to get Worse at This Game With Enough Practice

Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:07 PM (25 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:55 PM

Tyvm for the advice YJ, I will definately give it a shot, as I'm certainly not getting anywhere with my current manner of playing, unless you count moving backward. Any  recommended equipment upgrade / changes in wedges ? I'm not real nuts about throwing more money at this after my previous experience, but , might consider  something if it would help with my 12' DTP wishlist.

Doc :)

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 2:11 PM

Most days I play OK , some days I don't . Remember the old saying - a bad day of golf beats a good day of work . ( or is that fishing ) Regardless I'm just glad to have days to golf !!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 3:17 PM

drmoose:
    Any  recommended equipment upgrade / changes in wedges ? I'm not real nuts about throwing more money at this after my previous experience, but , might consider  something if it would help with my 12' DTP wishlist.

I can't speak for those Pings you have but there are plenty of TLs that still use them. That says enough. You have the modern version of what I used to get to Legend in your irons (G10s then) so you're set there.

What I would do is keep those 2 Pings and get 2 more of them to properly space yourself up to the G20 PW. Punches with them are imperative so factor their distances into your gaps. With right coverage there will be even gaps all the way up to your 3i. With that kind of coverage you won't fear any shot.

ONE ball makes a difference as opposed to trying different ones. More expensive doesn't = better. I used the Tour-SD with those irons (Satin wedges) because they would hit the yardages they were supposed to. Spin was for controlling what happened after landing. Stop and hop wasn't even in the vocabulary except maybe with the 64W. Best part was the deviation on the mishits with the SD balls keeps you in the park AND it was only 22 credits going into the drink. Made you brave. LOL

Lastly, you might try thinking your distances a little differently when you look at your choices. Drop a club and use top spin to run up to holes instead of choking a larger club with back spin. There's a lot to be said for taking full swings and if you maximize the club you can minimize the damage when you miss if you're playing up to a pin. 

I'm really confident this will turn you around, it literally got me to Legend.  Thanks for asking. :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:54 PM

Great advice YJ, if I ever get a chance to play a few rounds again I will try some of these suggestions. 

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:07 PM

Its really kinda funny.  I have all the best equipment that is available to me, I can go out and practice every day, I can play match play and A/S with some of the best players in here, and I hold my own with them, but, when it comes time to play a stroke play round, i'm a bumbling idiot.  I tend to tense up playing by myself, trying to make that perfect shot every time.

But, one thing I've noticed, each time I have leveled up, my game goes south on a siesta for about a month, and I always know when i'm about to tier up,  because I start playing great golf.  Every shot goes exactly where I want to go, every hole is a birdie opportunity, and my game is going like a runaway rocket...and then BAM!!!  I tier up and its back to square one.

Since WGT  decided to allow me to get to Legend, my games been in the toilet....but, one thing that's not, is I have fun in multi player games.  Sometimes I can hit with the best, and other times I play up to my new title...Legendary Hack   lol

But its still a fun game, as long as I stay away from stroke play  lol

Steven

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Fri, Mar 21 2014 1:39 AM

Richard4168:
    One Sunday a guy told me he shot a 68 on 18 holes, I said, "that's great." So I enthusiastically told him, "I played 18 holes today as well", he asked, "what did you shoot", I said, "a 94", he said, "well, as long as you had fun, that's all that counts."

That's me in the 90's but I bet at least one of those shot's could not be bettered by even Tiger which is what makes me keep on playing with a smile on my face.

Keep on hitting them balls people.

GC.

RSS