Forums

Help › Forums

Re: THE EARLY DAYS

Thu, Jan 29 2015 9:56 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:09 AM

Another one from the old days who livened up the forums and hasn't been around in ages is GITrDONE

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:11 AM

renniw52:

I spent a few hours today looking over the forums, tourney updates, player profiles and so on. I took a mental trip down memory lane, mostly laughing and at times almost crying.  When I first started playing WGT I was totally clueless, never having played a computer game in my life.

I quickly made a few friends who had been here awhile and they spent countless hours helping me learn how to navigate a computer and this game. We all had less than the best equipment and limited courses to play. The matches were totally hysterical and priceless.

The jokes, digs, comments, nice shot (when the ball went in the drink or OOB), were all meant in jest and taken so. If you had 6 friends green and started a game, you had one in a matter of seconds. Doesn't seem to be so these days. Players and even old time friends have a different agenda with the game these days. Too much emphasis on averages, stats, or whatever.

I have 167 friends on my list and couldn't tell you who over half of them are, never see them on to play a game with, or see any comments in the forums. Most nights I will have 12-15 friends green and still can't get an AS going. I have had a couple of very enjoyable AS games lately with total strangers but these are extremely rare.

I put up with the smart remarks from lesser tier players who think that because I am a Legend every shot should be dead on. My friends know that I do not use any aids to assist my game. No putting scale, no calculator, no notes or charts of any sort. I have played real golf since 1963 and never saw a need for anything but my clubs and balls.

I don't expect to get any better with this game due solely to my old school mentality. That is just how I roll and I have fun with it. Any one expecting more than this from me will be greatly let down if you expect a dart thrower on the WGT courses. What made me want to cry you may ask.

For the players who remember Strange Magic and our one and only Miss Lizzie, it is self explanatory. To all my long time friends and ones who I have not met yet, if you want to have a good old fun game, laughs and friendship, give me a shout. Last night I hit 1400 CDP, and am starting to wonder why.

Rich

Sorry Renn but had to redo this it was hurting my eyes . i remember the good ol days . Used to play golf uphill both ways all 18 holes , in the snow , while fighting off a pack wolves

.My caddy had a lazy eye , couldnt tell half the time which way they were looking . Spent more time in the weeds than on the short grass . Aaahhh the good ol days , where have they gone ? :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:43 AM

renniw52:
    For the players who remember Strange Magic

The red shirt my avatar has on came from Dick  over Christmas, 2010. I had shown him how to putt at the time and before I knew it, the shirt was mine-a gift from him for the lessons. Totally unexpected and so typical of him.

I've never switched it and remember him easily and fondly.  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 12:57 PM

Wear it proudly YJ, and think of the Haggis bomber every time you play.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:23 PM

LOL. It's the beans I miss.  :-D

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:28 PM

renniw52:
    When I first started playing WGT I was totally clueless, never having played a computer game in my life.

Ditto.....it was like a new found love, ( never out of the sheets )

Now we  / WGT in marriage mode..

No sex and alot of arguements !!

But still in love..  Ahaaaa  xxxx  :-)

Andy

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:32 PM

lonniescott711:

renniw52:

I spent a few hours today looking over the forums, tourney updates, player profiles and so on. I took a mental trip down memory lane, mostly laughing and at times almost crying.  When I first started playing WGT I was totally clueless, never having played a computer game in my life.

I quickly made a few friends who had been here awhile and they spent countless hours helping me learn how to navigate a computer and this game. We all had less than the best equipment and limited courses to play. The matches were totally hysterical and priceless.

The jokes, digs, comments, nice shot (when the ball went in the drink or OOB), were all meant in jest and taken so. If you had 6 friends green and started a game, you had one in a matter of seconds. Doesn't seem to be so these days. Players and even old time friends have a different agenda with the game these days. Too much emphasis on averages, stats, or whatever.

I have 167 friends on my list and couldn't tell you who over half of them are, never see them on to play a game with, or see any comments in the forums. Most nights I will have 12-15 friends green and still can't get an AS going. I have had a couple of very enjoyable AS games lately with total strangers but these are extremely rare.

I put up with the smart remarks from lesser tier players who think that because I am a Legend every shot should be dead on. My friends know that I do not use any aids to assist my game. No putting scale, no calculator, no notes or charts of any sort. I have played real golf since 1963 and never saw a need for anything but my clubs and balls.

I don't expect to get any better with this game due solely to my old school mentality. That is just how I roll and I have fun with it. Any one expecting more than this from me will be greatly let down if you expect a dart thrower on the WGT courses. What made me want to cry you may ask.

For the players who remember Strange Magic and our one and only Miss Lizzie, it is self explanatory. To all my long time friends and ones who I have not met yet, if you want to have a good old fun game, laughs and friendship, give me a shout. Last night I hit 1400 CDP, and am starting to wonder why.

Rich

Sorry Renn but had to redo this it was hurting my eyes . i remember the good ol days . Used to play golf uphill both ways all 18 holes , in the snow , while fighting off a pack wolves .My caddy had a lazy eye , couldnt tell half the time which way they were looking . Spent more time in the weeds than on the short grass . Aaahhh the good ol days , where have they gone ? :-)

Pot and kettle springs to mind..^^

You must have a paragraph between the two of you originally ? ;-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:49 PM

Wonderful link YJ, Lizzie's post on his wall can make a grown man weak.

• SteveW65
    4,540 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2015 10:05 AM

renniw52:
    The matches were totally hysterical and priceless. The jokes, digs, comments, nice shot (when the ball went in the drink or OOB), were all meant in jest and taken so. If you had 6 friends green and started a game, you had one in a matter of seconds.

Rich - we have all that and more mate. Time to join a CC and find the love!

We have plenty of tough comps - running a Major in UEL mode at the moment and the scorwes are hysterical - but loads are having a go. But the organised comps are just 1 tiny part of it. We have a Friday Night Beer Club (which extends to Saturday night) where sober or not (not usually in my case) we all get together and play alt shot matches all night - sometimes with irons only for extra laughs. In these matches you will meet Alice and Butch and many other names which are probably best not printed here. The craic - and camaraderie - is what makes this game special for many of us. Yes, we have a few that can shoot in the 50's - but not every round! We have different winners of the organised comps all the time - and a 'Boss' who writes the best match reports ever lol.

In fact, we also have a Sunday Ladies League - dress up in your best dress, slap a bit of make up on and rip it from the ladies tees! You will have to adopt a ladies name for the day though.

I had had enough of this game 18 months ago - bored out my mind. Then I joined the CC and I have to say my virtual golf life changed forever. We're organising a Real golf event too - at The Belfry. Really looking forward to meeting up with the numerous friends I have made - will be a great laugh.

We also have plenty of guys from USA / Canada etc so time zones don't seem to present any problems.

I'm sure a good CC will fill the void - whether ours or another. Good luck squirrel man! And remember, don't stand too close to the ball after you've hit it. :)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 9:56 AM

Sounds like a hoot Steve, I will give it some thought.

Thanks

Rich

• PAGES
RSS