Forums

Help › Forums

THE EARLY DAYS

Thu, Jan 29 2015 9:56 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 5:07 PM

I spent a few hours today looking over the forums, tourney updates, player profiles and so on. I took a mental trip down memory lane, mostly laughing and at times almost crying.  When I first started playing WGT I was totally clueless, never having played a computer game in my life. I quickly made a few friends who had been here awhile and they spent countless hours helping me learn how to navigate a computer and this game. We all had less than the best equipment and limited courses to play. The matches were totally hysterical and priceless. The jokes, digs, comments, nice shot (when the ball went in the drink or OOB), were all meant in jest and taken so. If you had 6 friends green and started a game, you had one in a matter of seconds. Doesn't seem to be so these days. Players and even old time friends have a different agenda with the game these days. Too much emphasis on averages, stats, or whatever. I have 167 friends on my list and couldn't tell you who over half of them are, never see them on to play a game with, or see any comments in the forums. Most nights I will have 12-15 friends green and still can't get an AS going. I have had a couple of very enjoyable AS games lately with total strangers but these are extremely rare. I put up with the smart remarks from lesser tier players who think that because I am a Legend every shot should be dead on. My friends know that I do not use any aids to assist my game. No putting scale, no calculator, no notes or charts of any sort. I have played real golf since 1963 and never saw a need for anything but my clubs and balls. I don't expect to get any better with this game due solely to my old school mentality. That is just how I roll and I have fun with it. Any one expecting more than this from me will be greatly let down if you expect a dart thrower on the WGT courses. What made me want to cry you may ask. For the players who remember Strange Magic and our one and only Miss Lizzie, it is self explanatory. To all my long time friends and ones who I have not met yet, if you want to have a good old fun game, laughs and friendship, give me a shout. Last night I hit 1400 CDP, and am starting to wonder why.

Rich

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 5:38 PM

Long Live the King O 3 putt,s .

OPY

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 6:43 PM

2009 I found this god foresaken game, or it found me,

I'll never be any good, i've accepeted that BUT the friends I made on the journey are priceless

I have a chit day and I know I can come on here and chat, vent my depressions and get on with life

That to me is priceless

Golf is the gateway to heaven i'm sure, we found each other

Thank You WGT

And friends I made of course ;-)

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 7:41 PM

renniw52:
    For the players who remember

I remember Cave paintings of Faterson .

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 8:04 PM

renniw52:
    players who remember Strange Magic

I had not thought about him until now....He was a dandy dude, and the thought of his displayed photo still cracks me up...Thanks Rich for the mental replay ;-}

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 8:10 PM

the old days

HEY REN why are YOU not green?

have always enjoyed being here

now I need to clear my caches update my flash and try a different browser

shucks

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:32 AM

SweetiePie:
    ]players who remember Strange Magic

good days

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:47 AM

He was a one in a million. Always in pursuit of Lizzie with his submarine, cargo plane with his exotic car waiting, his dancing in a skirt is priceless. Amazing how you can miss someone so much that you only knew on line. I was one of the first people he sent pictures of his 2 new grand babies to. He was envious of me for having 7 grand kids, and then he had little Lucy and Jasper almost back to back. Great times never to be forgotten. Now I won't be worth a flip the rest of the day thinking about this.

• overtheedge
    5,881 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 10:34 AM

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:02 AM

Hell, I remember the days when we actually had a shot in tournaments. A top 10 or 20. Now it seems everybody shoots a 27 for 9 or a 55 for 18. I would get totally bored if I shot those numbers every round. Still enjoy this game and coming in 200th to 500th place!

Hawk

• PAGES
RSS