Help › Forums

Re: Just had an Epiphany

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:25 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:51 PM

Just had the perfect example, played an AS at RSG. I set the shot clock at 45. My partner was a TL. He let the clock expire twice, a 1 shot penalty each time. These were on easy, real golf shots, not electronically manipulated shots. He told me that a 45 second shot clock was for freaks or Tour Pros playing a blitz. Bull $hit, if you can't play a shot in 45 seconds then you have told me all I need to know, gamers.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:29 PM

I am just an average player at WGT, but have always considered myself a golfer playing a golf game and I have never considered myself a gamer.

It is just a mere golf game and I wished I could replicate half my shots on here on the real course. But of course I can't....

But I still play with the same attitude, I try to visualise my shot before playing and looking at the factors that will affect the shot. No I cannot throw grass into the air, nor plumb bob my putt, but I can still imagine the shot through the air and imagine the roll of the ball.

No this does not take long, sheesh, the older I get the less I remember - if I wait 30 seconds I will have forgotten what I was trying to imagine.

If a player cannot hit within 45 seconds there is something wrong (unless they are like me, that 30 second threshold they have probably forgotten they were playing WGT). The only time it takes me any length of time is on the green where I do look at different angles.

The only time I time out is if I am typing too much and miss my turn (isn't being sociable the reason for playing multi player games), sometimes I see an avatar and forget it is mine (seniors moments again, I know) and once I fell asleep during a game!

I do not use calculators and prefer to use my memory (hence why my game really is so bad some days) as I do not use them in real golf. Yes in real golf I know roughly how far my ball will fly with each club same on here.

So for all intents and purposes it is like real golf but is far removed from the real game. Like real golf, I no longer play when it rains or gets cold and it never rains on WGT. Like real golf there are no galleries to laugh at my shots and like real golf and every so often I can shoot in the 50's like I can in real golf (only in real golf it is more depressing as I still have 9 more to play).

I am not delusional, this is a game, and a fun one at that based on the real game. No it is not a substitute but a satisfactory addition to supplement the real McCoy.

As I finish on the 18th, I bow to the gallery, wave my cap and hug the cute blonde near the green and pretend she is my wife ....write down my snowman on the card and trudge off to the virtual 19th hole.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:25 PM

My thoughts:  Never play the man.

Always have enuff time to re-figgr a shot.

Give advice, but only if asked to do so.

Get the best equipment you can afford, you will learn to use it.

Find a ball that fits your style of play, one you can afford, and stick with it.

Don't get into a shouting match with someone while playing, leave or conclude the argument after the round.

I'm sure there are many other points that shudd enter into your play of this game.  I for one recognize that it isn't golf, but I no longer have anything else to replace real golf with.  My nickle.

• PAGES
RSS