Help › Forums

Just had an Epiphany

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:25 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 12:22 PM

After all this time on WGT I just figured it out. I have been  trying to play golf. Damn, I feel stupid. I should of been trying to master a computer game. Now I understand why some players have thousands of pages of notes, putting gauges, slide scales, calculators, so forths and what nots. I have been doing this all wrong from day one. If this was real golf I would not feel so bad about my average and such. Now that I have finally figured this out I will just continue to play golf. I have no desire to master a computer game. I did shoot a real 18 last Saturday and was very proud of my 86. I had not touched a real club in almost 2 years. Every bone in my body hurt that night, but it was real golf. All this does for me is strain my eyes and make my hands numb. Anybody for golf?

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:04 PM

Anytime, Renni!

Your state of mind keeps me from all those notes, gauges, calcs etc, except my tiny putting tables... I just don't wanna play it as a computing game!

If you bother to arrive at FRA around 11 on Thu, I'm gonna pick you up - it might be a gas at Rhein-Main GC!

(a call to the whole WGT world!)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:25 PM

You have no idea how I would love to be there. I could look up some of my ancestors.

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:53 PM

I gleaned that bit of truth a while ago Rich - it's not helped me any yet :)  

i was graced with a xmas gift from a  kind soul of a notebook.  I was diligent - mapping and note taking and had about a 1/3 of my work done - then last week I tried to enter a new note - and low and behold all of my notes are gone - every hole on every course - blank.

what did I learn?  well, this game is so real it simulates the dog eating my homework as when I was in the 5th grade lol, and.......that I'll prob never be good at video games - i was past my prime before atari and intellivision were household names lol.

god bless you buddy - love your perspectives.  one of the good guys :)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:56 PM

renniw52:
    After all this time on WGT I just figured it out. I have been  trying to play golf. Damn, I feel stupid. I should of been trying to master a computer game.

Catch 22 LOL.  I love the game for the golf, hate the game for the golf and try not to get so stuck on the computer game side of it.

That's why I was so set at getting yellow callaways, I play them in real life.  I was playing Callaway irons as well up until about a week ago when I sold them and bought a set of Ping G20's.  Now I wish I had those so I could play irons and golf ball combo that I play in real life.   Was playing a Cally driver last season but then switched to a Titleist driver, and we know that ain't going to happen here lol.

For me, being able to play the same gear here as I do on a real course just takes away a lot of my stress involved in this game.  But, I'm here as a golf addict, not a gamer you could say.

Have a few laughs, a few too many drinks and too much fun, but where would the "realism" be without a few WTF moments mixed in with the fun.  I may even get the Ping G25's since they are almost the same and if I get a lower leveled set, they'd be a little closer to realistic play for me.  Not just distances, but accuracy and spin wise too.  

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 2:01 PM

renniw52:
    You have no idea how I would love to be there.

Do it!

You asked "Anybody for golf?" and I invited you, that's all! I'd even pay your green fee and club rent (It's "walking" under winter conditions, but no snow, I promise!)

To be honest, you'd have to find your own way out of it - I'm gonna continue to Cologne.

• Priesum
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 2:04 PM

renniw52:
    Anybody for golf?

As you know my friend - whenever you like!

Kelly

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 2:11 PM

The good ones coming out with real comments, we have obviously played some real golf in our lives. Guys we may have to form a club, (NO Gamers Allowed CC). Then we can have some real golfing fun. When I see a Master drop an approach a foot from the pin every shot I want to quit, but won't. I play it out and realize what a fool I was. I have said in the past, this is the first game I have ever played on a computer so I am easy prey for the maggots. I am laying dead from the start.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 2:17 PM

renniw52:
    When I see a Master drop an approach a foot from the pin every shot I want to quit, but won't. I play it out and realize what a fool I was. I have said in the past, this is the first game I have ever played on a computer so I am easy prey for the maggots. I am laying dead from the start.

If you aren't playing for credits, then it's just like playing for real.  It really boils down to you against par.

How I look at it anyway.  :)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:12 PM

hpurey:

renniw52:
    When I see a Master drop an approach a foot from the pin every shot I want to quit, but won't. I play it out and realize what a fool I was. I have said in the past, this is the first game I have ever played on a computer so I am easy prey for the maggots. I am laying dead from the start.

If you aren't playing for credits, then it's just like playing for real.  It really boils down to you against par.

How I look at it anyway.  :)

Same here.  Caring what anyone else is doing or how they're playing is a waste of time. Play against the courses and what others are doing doesn't matter any more.

• PAGES
RSS