Help › Forums

Re: windows help

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 19 2015 12:22 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2015 4:40 PM

Also an easy way to access System Restore is to just hold your power button down until your computer shuts down. When it has fully shut down, restart it. It will show you a page that says windows did not shut down correctly, and it will give you several options ... one of them is Start in Safe Mode ... click on that , and it will give you an option to restore your system to an earlier date... :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:48 PM

ScottHope:

YankeeJim:
    Type restore in the search box under your start button.
    He doesn't have a start button Jim.  : )

Well I'm sure he has a search function somewhere.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:54 PM

Sting - First of all, what Win OS are you running; Vista,7, 8, 8.1?

I'm a MS Certified Architect. I doubt the update caused the issue; it sounds more like you got malware from that damn Dominoes ad they (WGT) embedded in the client. Happened to me the other morning after the ad played...it resized all my desktop and app icons to like 16x16 px and my game client was like 160x160 px in full screen mode. Then, after a reboot, I had the same issue you're having.

DO THIS and RUN system Restore, Sting.

If you're using 7 or 8 you'll need to expand More Details to view the menu at the top, if it's hidden.

Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC. When Task Manager Pops up...choose FILE > Run New Task.

Type this command in the box: rstrui.exe and press OK.

Here's the screenshot, for anybody that thinks I'm joking..after the reboot..my entire desktop was blank.

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2015 12:22 PM

CanineSupervisor:

Sting - First of all, what Win OS are you running; Vista,7, 8, 8.1?

I'm a MS Certified Architect. I doubt the update caused the issue; it sounds more like you got malware from that damn Dominoes ad they (WGT) embedded in the client. Happened to me the other morning after the ad played...it resized all my desktop and app icons to like 16x16 px and my game client was like 160x160 px in full screen mode. Then, after a reboot, I had the same issue you're having.

DO THIS and RUN system Restore, Sting.

If you're using 7 or 8 you'll need to expand More Details to view the menu at the top, if it's hidden.

Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC. When Task Manager Pops up...choose FILE > Run New Task.

Type this command in the box: rstrui.exe and press OK.

Here's the screenshot, for anybody that thinks I'm joking..after the reboot..my entire desktop was blank.

First it was Windows 8.1 And It was completely blank as explorer.exe didn't load.At least that's why I think it was blank. Because task manager showed no apps running. 

I had Task manager by holding down ctrl-alt-del and was running programs by selecting file.run new task. 

I just didn't have a desk top or task bar to easily run the programs. 

I finally was able to run system restore by running control panel and selecting it from there. Before I read your post by the way. 

After running system restore I got 2 error messages. The first was personal settings not responding and the second was system restore has failed to restore your system. 

And then it loaded to a blank screen again. I tried to expand it with the ctrl+shift+esc combo but that did nothing. Then I tried to load Task manager the way i had before and it loaded to a blank screen as well. I finally had to go back to my old Windows Vista machine until I can take the Windows 8.1 Machine in to the shop to see if some how I might have picked up a virus. 

There does seem to a be a rather strange thing going on with my browsers. All except Comodo Dragon have flash version 12.0.0.77 and Comodo Dragon has 17.0.0.134. 

Now the strange part is now of those browsers except IE are actually installed on the old PC. They are all on 1 of 2 external drives that I moved from the new PC back to the old one. And before the crash they all including Comodo Dragon had version 16. And I don't recall updating to 17 and I have flash set to ask me before installing updates. Could it be that 12.0.0.77 was what was in the registry when I switched out PC's last April and even though 16 is installed the registry is reading it as 12.0.0.77?

• PAGES
RSS