rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:27 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:16 AM

Sam,

Let me try again.

Suppose I take 36 putts in a round and make 18 of them. They are made from the following distances: 1-5 feet, 9; 6-10 feet, 6; 10-25 feet, 2; 25-50 feet, 1.

Are you saying it is like this:

1-5 feet = 9/36 = 25%

6-10 feet = 6/36 = 16.7%

10-25 feet = 2/36 = 6.5%

25-50 feet = 1/36 = 2.8%

50+ feet = 0/36 = 0%

Thus the total of these figures - and the overall accuracy - is 50% (excluding rounding errors).

Is this correct?

If so, crucially, what this does not tell me is how many I attempted from each distance, and thus it does not tell me how accurate I am at each distance. Maybe I only attempted 9 putts from 1-5 feet, so my accuracy in that range is actually 100%. Maybe even all of the unsuccessful attempts were from 50+ feet (the statistics do not say), and inside 50 feet I make 100% of my putts.

Yes?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:24 AM

CharlemagneRH:
    Despite claims by numerous other players that wind affects putts, I do not adjust for wind when putting.

I have read where golfers who play links courses with heavy wind in real life claim that the wind really does have a significant effect on their putts. Whether this has ever been verified I have no idea. I agree that in WGT the wind does not seem to affect putting, and personally I do not make any allowance for wind when putting.

• Puffling
    4 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 5:18 AM

Yep zagraniczniak, that is exactly right.

Under this system, ideally you want to get your percentages up in the higher distances - but even then this will still lead to misleading interpretations. If your percentage putts in the 25-50 feet category starts to rise, your putting is improving - but equally your approaches are probably getting worse! 

I have to say I find it a really annoying method of calculation - I want to know how accurate I am from each distance, but sadly there is no way of knowing!

I would suggest new stats, from 0-3.9 ft (the tap-ins) then 4-7.9 ft (the ones you need to be holing to score well), then 8-15 ft.
    They'll never change it though I guess!
    And agreed - I don't make allowance for the wind when putting. 

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 7:40 AM

I have noticed that when playing "Heavy" winds on St. Andrews especially, that longer putts, say over 15ft., with a crosswind, that if you miss, 90% of the time it will be on the downwind side of cup. Coincidence?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 8:02 AM

sixkiller:

I have noticed that when playing "Heavy" winds on St. Andrews especially, that longer putts, say over 15ft., with a crosswind, that if you miss, 90% of the time it will be on the downwind side of cup. Coincidence?

That is worth watching. Those really long putts tend to have so much total break, sometimes going in a couple of different directions, that it would be hard to gauge. Maybe check the 9th green, where sometimes the putt appears flat as a pancake?

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 8:17 AM

Having played a lot of links courses I can safely say that wind does affect putts.  But I also agree that it has no effect in WGT.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:23 AM

zagraniczniak:

CharlemagneRH:
    Despite claims by numerous other players that wind affects putts, I do not adjust for wind when putting.

I have read where golfers who play links courses with heavy wind in real life claim that the wind really does have a significant effect on their putts. Whether this has ever been verified I have no idea. I agree that in WGT the wind does not seem to affect putting, and personally I do not make any allowance for wind when putting.

Definitely does have an effect in real life.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 12:36 PM

I've seen my putts affected directly by the wind only on high wind STA rounds, but the effect is clear and noticable - straight putts dinged (STA 9, both pins, STA 12 new pin, STA 15 new pin) miss by a full cup in a crosswind from 10 ft.  Any winds below ~22mph - agree with Charlemagne, don't see a noticable impact or a need to adjust.

• borntobesting
    9,680 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:27 PM

In real life it is more the putter than the putt that is affected by the high winds. It is harder to keep a stable base in high winds. 

• PAGES
RSS