Help › Forums

Putting stats

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:27 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Puffling
    4 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:28 AM

Does anyone know what's wrong with the putting stats? No matter how I play my 0-5 foot putt stats always say I hole 45ish% of putts.

How is this possible? I'm no expert at this game but would think I hole more than 9 of every 10 putts from 0-5 feet. 45% holed would mean I am two putting regularly from 5 feet - three putting even - which just isn't the case.

Also can't believe I only hole one in ten putts from 5-10 feet, which WGT says is the case.

Surely some problem with their calculations? Anyone know?

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 3:48 PM

You've had 2900 putts (or, attempts at putts). Lets assume that at least 2/3 of those were from under 5 feet away. 

To increase your putts made from less than 5 feet by just 1%, you need to make 20 putts in a row from this distance. That means to get it over 50%, you need to make 160 putts in a row (well slightly more actually), assuming what you're saying is correct (that you make 90% of these putts), you'd actually make 160 putts, and miss about 16 putts in between

..meaning that almost 200 putts later, you've increased by about 7% (200 putts is about equivalent to 15-18 9 hole games depending on how good you are - 200 putts from 0-5 feet is equivalent to more like 20-25 9 hole games)

That meant that 20-25 9 hole games later (or about a week or two depending on activity) you'll increase by 7%

I've checked on a few of WGTs averages (driving accuracy, GIR) and they all ring true for me...never did analysis on putting averages yet but I'd be happy to do so if anyone wants me to...but fairly sure that'll ring true also

Rob

• Puffling
    4 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 3:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob. I've done a bit of my own research too and worked it out.

The putting stats are the percentage of your total putts that are holed from a given distance. Eg. if you play one round and hole one putt from 40 feet and the rest from 4 feet (and only take 18 putts for the round - unlikely though that is) your stats will read:

0-5 ft - 96.3%

5-10 - 0%

10-25 - 0%

25-50 - 3.7%

Seems a silly way to do it really. It would be far more useful I think to have percentage success rates for each distance, which would make it easier to compare against other players. I would think most Legend tier people, for instance, hole well over 95% of putts from 0-5 feet. But their stats read 40-50% as it is the percentage of their total putts ever that counts. So really you should be looking to increase your % in the longer distances and not worry that 0-5ft says only 45%...!

Would love to see this changed.

Sam

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 10:05 AM

That would make sense, and make the reason why it takes so long to get your average up...as I just noticed my average from 0-5 feet is 44% - and it was 46% the other day...

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 1:55 PM

I'm still trying to work out how an uphill putt with a head wind of 12mph can travel 28ft when hit only 18ft

tbe

• nowhammies
    288 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 3:03 PM
    How do you know you are only hitting it 18ft?
  • Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 3:04 PM

wind doesn't affect shots on the ground, quite understandable if on tournament greens, especially if the green then sloped down after the hole, or if putting across the slope, as you're never really going up the hill, just hitting against the break, in the knowledge its coming back down after (unless of course this is one of WGTs glitches)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 3:56 PM

Puffling:
    The putting stats are the percentage of your total putts that are holed from a given distance.

Don't think this is so, or else they would add up to 100%. Mine only up to 60%. I'm with the original poster who assumes that the stat means what percentage of putts from 0-5 feet (or whatever) he makes. He disputes the claim that he sinks less than half of his putts from less than 5 feet. I feel the same, but I don't keep any records to compare to the WGT stats. Not that stats are worth a hill of beans - it's scoring, scrambling, making those clutch 5-footers for par and the like.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:15 PM

thebigeasy707:

I'm still trying to work out how an uphill putt with a head wind of 12mph can travel 28ft when hit only 18ft

Despite claims by numerous other players that wind affects putts, I do not adjust for wind when putting.  I've had 100-ft putts with 20+ headwinds and tailwinds, and they went the exact distance that I told them to, without any adjustment made for the wind.

Wind totally changes the roll of an approach shot, but I've yet to see any effect on a putt.

To answer your question about the putt, it's possible that an uphill putt on tournament greens can do that if it first goes uphill and then downhill.

• Puffling
    4 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 12:40 AM

Not true zagraniczniak - your putting stats will only add up to 100% if you have never missed a putt!!!

If yours add up to 60% that means you're holing 60% of all putts you make. That's consistent with an average 1.66 putts per hole. 

I will bet a large proportion of my net worth that I hole more than 50% of putts from 0-5ft!!!!!! (Sadly the same is not true when I'm out on the real courses!)

• PAGES
    RSS