Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Holiday shopping done

Mon, Nov 28 2016 8:07 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, Nov 27 2016 7:22 PM

"my missus could give me a Rolex and I would not wear it, but a box of Pro-V1's and I am stoked."

Alan:  are the golf balls quartz, or manual wind?

Actually, I shouldn't laugh. I once asked for a vintage timepiece...da missus gave me a sundial...oi vey

ct

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Nov 27 2016 8:05 PM

Alanti - One of my keys is that I never buy a CD unless I can open it and inspect it. If it's not in pristine condition I won't buy it. I've had one or two bad tracks out of the 500+ CDs I've purchased that way.

ct- I think we're talking about different types of used gifts. I don't buy regular stuff like clothes and toys but I pick up a ton of unique items. Finding gems like an old teapot from Ireland or something hand-painted by a local artist for the teapot collector in my life is the type of thing I thrift shop for.

When I'm hitting clearance racks around the country I'm always on the prowl for new things at great prices. One example would be a high quality backpack I found for my daughter at a store in Maine. Someone ordered it monogrammed with the same unusual spelling as my daughter's first name. For some reason it was returned unused but the monogramming was done. I picked that one up for less than half price since they knew they'd have a difficult time selling it with that name on it. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Nov 27 2016 8:41 PM

ct690911:
    Alan:  are the golf balls quartz, or manual wind?

They are automatic.....just like the ones Kim Jong-il uses.....put them on the tee, next you know they are in the hole.

Actually one of my first real indulgences was a Rolex Submariner but I had issues with it losing time. It happened after I went diving and whilst it had a screw down crown, I belive water actually got into it. Rolex refuted this and said the time loss was acceptable. I sold it and would never touch one again.

Worse was a friend who had an IWC - the damn thing rusted internally!

Watches are a passion...gulp, not all expensive, in fact some cheap and nasty and a few that people always ask about.

And SR, I agree, if you are prudent in checking CD's you will get a bargain. I got caught...in a hurry thought wow, great deal....no due diligence......

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Mon, Nov 28 2016 7:20 AM

When my daughter was 12 or 13, she was in need of a winter coat. Because my job prevented me from being home much, I volunteered to take her shopping. I had little experience shopping with females, and far less shopping with teenage girls. But, I hunted terrorists for a living...how hard could this be? 

I found a half price winter coat at Sears. She refused to wear it, claiming we were in an "old people" store; her friends would know, and that she would be bullied at school. I took her to every store in the mall...and there were dozens. Same issue.

Many would probably think she was being a brat (my 1st thought), but remember the context ^^...I can't even tell when da missus gets her hair done, so I was clearly out of my element. I also didn't want her bullied.

To appease her angst (quite visceral), we trundled off to a store she chose. She found a coat. It was waaay more than the coats I had selected. Her buckets of tears were replaced by a beaming smile and a pitiful look of hope...so, this was the coat we ended up with. I was exhausted and confused and broke. We headed home. Mother and daughter were delighted with the choice. I grabbed a beer and turned on the hockey game. Nothing to it...pffft.  Five hours shopping with a teenage girl?...give me an Op in the mid east anytime.

Ever since, whenever we went "shopping", da missus and daughter would happily skip off...while I would head to a sports bar jammed with husbands and fathers, and have a few pints.

There is no moral to this story...no epiphany. I suppose it was just cathartic to relate it.

ct

• craigswan
    31,550 Posts
    Mon, Nov 28 2016 8:07 AM

"my missus could give me a Rolex and I would not wear it.

Can I  have it .

Will swap you for this glider [ piece of *** ] .

• PAGES
RSS