Forums

Help › Forums

Holiday shopping done

Mon, Nov 28 2016 8:07 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Nov 22 2016 8:46 AM

For over 20 years I've cruised thrift shops when convenient and shopped clearance racks in stores I've happened to be in all over the country. As a result I wind up with a locked closet full of smaller gifts for birthdays and holidays at great prices and mostly in unopened packages. With some of those being from smaller stores and unique to other areas they become a little more special to the receiver of the gift.

That leaves a few "big ticket" items. We keep our eyes open for those with a target price range in mind. When we find them, we use the account we've set aside to make the purchases. If the money isn't in the account already, we don't buy them. Those items get stashed in the rafters or under tarps in the garage.

That shopping plan has always served us well. We finished our holiday shopping last night with an online order from a store. Now we're free to enjoy the holidays with family and friends but without out the material stress.

It feels good to once again have it done before Thanksgiving, both under budget and with zero charge accounts to pay.:)

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Nov 22 2016 11:29 AM

Boo! - true and simple avertising!

Will you delete it or do you wait until it's reported and officially cancelled?

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Wed, Nov 23 2016 4:39 PM

@OP

I wasn't sure of the intent of your post. Locking things in a closet? Hiding things under a tarp and in the rafters?

At first I thought you were confessing to being a secret hoarder. I think there is (or was) a TV show about this condition.

I also can't imagine gifting things in "mostly unopened" packages.

That said ^^^, I am pleased you have completed everything within your budget.:)

ct

• craigswan
    31,550 Posts
    Thu, Nov 24 2016 12:47 PM

Every January I say i'm starting saving for xmas . Never happens . As usual my credit card is red hot .

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Nov 24 2016 12:56 PM

ct690911:
    I wasn't sure of the intent of your post. Locking things in a closet? Hiding things under a tarp and in the rafters?

The post is mostly padding, and I'd reckon probably untrue, trying to get his advert to stay up longer.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Nov 24 2016 6:33 PM

ct - Locking things in the closet and hiding others in the garage prevents other family members from seeing their Christmas gifts early before they are wrapped and put under the Christmas tree.

As for "mostly unopened" packages, if I can find a music CD someone wants, why pay $10-20 for it when I can find the same CD for only $1 that is in almost  perfect condition but not in it's original plastic wrapper?  My teenagers and my wife are very happy to receive those things knowing I didn't pay $1 for the CD and waste $9-19 for the wrapper. Likewise, I find many collectibles that people can add to their private collections (teapots, owls, frogs, shot glasses, spoons, thimbles, etc.) in thrift stores. Those are almost never in an unopened package.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Fri, Nov 25 2016 1:17 PM

srellim234:

ct - Locking things in the closet and hiding others in the garage prevents other family members from seeing their Christmas gifts early before they are wrapped and put under the Christmas tree.

As for "mostly unopened" packages, if I can find a music CD someone wants, why pay $10-20 for it when I can find the same CD for only $1 that is in almost  perfect condition but not in it's original plastic wrapper?  My teenagers and my wife are very happy to receive those things knowing I didn't pay $1 for the CD and waste $9-19 for the wrapper. Likewise, I find many collectibles that people can add to their private collections (teapots, owls, frogs, shot glasses, spoons, thimbles, etc.) in thrift stores. Those are almost never in an unopened package.

Speaking strictly from a financial perspective, it's difficult to find fault with your logic. I was not aware that you had children living at home, so it now makes sense you would hide the gifts. I've never thought of giving anything but brand new gifts...I didn't want to be considered a cheapskate...lol. For my friends, I would give them a gift right away, unless it was new. I have never received, nor given, a previously used gift for Xmas, b'day, etc; although. I have donated used items to charities. I guess If I cared about money, I'd have stayed single (and certainly childless)...lol

A couple of posts have commented on your "advert"?...I assume the one for Home depot. No clue what is being driven at, as you mentioned purchasing gifts from many different vendors.

At any rate, you felt it worth your time to write the post, so whatever. Good on you for an interesting story.:)

ct

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Nov 25 2016 3:07 PM

ct690911:
    A couple of posts have commented on your "advert"?...I assume the one for Home depot. No clue what is being driven at, as you mentioned purchasing gifts from many different vendors.

Not really, he mentioned one specific store, not just that but put up a link to it and its "Black Friday bargains".  Otherwise;  "thrift shops when convenient and shopped clearance racks in stores I've happened to be in all over the country."

IMO it was an advert.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Nov 27 2016 4:39 PM

Dodgy - I didn't intentionally put an ad up. The link was apparently created by the software at another forum I participate on and I inadvertently  copied and pasted it here. I'll make you happy and just change it in the original post.  I had no idea it was a link when you said I posted an ad; I really didn't know what you were referring to.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Nov 27 2016 6:56 PM

srellim234:
    It feels good to once again have it done before Thanksgiving, both under budget and with zero charge accounts to pay.:)

WOW!!!

I could not do that, and part of me likes the buzz of last minute buying. I know exactly what I want, I have that planned in advance, but I  just I like the execution of getting it done in one hit and late in the game (less badgering...what did you get?).

My advice for anyone using credit for gifts, (take it or leave it) is if you need to put it on a credit card and cannot pay it off by the due date-  then don't buy it!

Gift giving should be far more about the thought than the monetary value - my missus could give me a Rolex and I would not wear it, but a box of Pro-V1's and I am stoked.

I did once buy a CD from a thrift store.....9 tracks that played perfectly....the one tracked I liked was rooted! I suppose that made it 90% new.

To me gifts need thought and personally I am not sure whether sifting through bargain purchases and then allocating a gift quite works, ticks the boxes but that is about it.

But we are all different however I admire your approach, unique and works for you.

• PAGES
RSS