Help › Forums

Re: Question for WGT

Sat, Feb 9 2019 4:45 AM (26 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:27 PM

DoctorLarry:

kavvz:
    Who makes the spreadsheet do the math problem?   Tip:  they don't think for themselves.

Sorry - this confused me a bit.

DoctorLarry:
    Just curious - maybe I read that all wrong.

I think you are and he means the making of the spreadsheet is part of working out what shot you need to hit.

I'd maybe agree too if everyone who was using a spreadsheet made it themselves. If I was to use one it'd need to be one made by someone else, have they then worked out my shot?

It could even be taken to streaming my game and chatting on one of them voice and text chat apps with someone saying "You're not giving it enough", "aim further left" etc etc; would that be cheating?

The spreadsheets, rulers etc are allowed by wgt, so on that basis they're not cheating.

• DoctorLarry
    4,302 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:53 PM

DodgyPutter:

DoctorLarry:

I think you are and he means the making of the spreadsheet is part of working out what shot you need to hit.

I'd maybe agree too if everyone who was using a spreadsheet made it themselves. If I was to use one it'd need to be one made by someone else, have they then worked out my shot?

It could even be taken to streaming my game and chatting on one of them voice and text chat apps with someone saying "You're not giving it enough", "aim further left" etc etc; would that be cheating?

The spreadsheets, rulers etc are allowed by wgt, so on that basis they're not cheating.

Well, I kinda thought so from his other posts, but I am easily confused sometimes!

As noted, I use this as part of the learning process for the year I have been here, and expect to be able to use it less and less - especially when not playing for anything major.

I would love to have a WGT "pro" coaching me remotely as I learn but I never got a pro in RL and won't get one here either!  I do learn from watching the best players that stream and youtube, however - primarily the ones that do their thinking out loud.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2019 5:29 PM

DodgyPutter:

DoctorLarry:

kavvz:
    Who makes the spreadsheet do the math problem?   Tip:  they don't think for themselves.

Sorry - this confused me a bit.

DoctorLarry:

Correct, it's a quicker means to the same end that someone might do in their head, or that someone might use a certain 'casio' for.  :) 

Much like those rulers we see is a quicker way to aim than using the aim box, but fundamentally they are identical.

Much like the clock overlay is simply a quicker way to get the wind direction.  

Finally, if someone disagrees with the use of a spreadsheet, they should therefore vehemently disagree with the use of a handheld/windows calculator or even dare I say doing those calculations mentally in ones head.

It doesn't matter if you have a 24 yard downhill shot and say to yourself well...I'm gonna take about 24 / 3 = 8 yards off this shot or you have a spreadsheet that gets you that -8 yards.

It's EXACTLY the same thing, and all these people who oppose or frown upon tools such as these are well I don't really know.  Bitter, jealous, bored...?  not really sure. 

I know (hope) you both probably understand that -- just wanted to post that for the benefit for those that don't.  :) 

cheers!

• DoctorLarry
    4,302 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2019 2:19 PM

kavvz:

It's EXACTLY the same thing, and all these people who oppose or frown upon tools such as these are well I don't really know.  Bitter, jealous, bored...?  not really sure. 

I know (hope) you both probably understand that -- just wanted to post that for the benefit for those that don't.  :) 

cheers!

I thought that was what you meant but the futher explanation above confirms it - and adds more truth !

• TopShelf2010
    10,899 Posts
    Sat, Feb 9 2019 4:45 AM

RSS