Forums

Help › Forums

Re: putting green to practice putting

Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:35 AM (27 replies)
  • Rightin
    1,248 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:40 AM

Just a hint that I have found works for me.   On these greens, now that they have increased the speed over the last few months, I have found that a putt that is flat and shows 10ft or more to the hole with no up or downhill usually putts 3ft longer,, if I have a 15ft putt with an arrow pointing up that tells me i need to add to my distance for that up hill putt,,  I have found that for every 1inch,, I need to add one foot to that uphill putt,  So if I am putting as follows: 15 + 1  16 feet,,   If I am putting downhill I just reverse the math and play with the 3ft rule on anything over 10ft.  So if I have a 15ft putt with an arrow pointing down showing 1inch down hill, I subtract 4inches for that putt. I am now putting for 11 feet.  Try this, I think it might help some who are having trouble with there putting.   1 foot added for every inch uphill, and 1 foot subtracted from every inch down hill.   This has helped me, I hope this may help others also. Don't forget the 3 foot rule on flat or downhill putts.  I just enjoy the game.  Maybe this tid-bit will help others.   Practice with it and have fun out there,,it's only a Game.   I like to think life is the game and golf is serious, just enjoy it.     I have a 20 foot putt with 1ft of up hill,, I am now putting to 32 feet,,,,,try it..        I have a 20 foot putt with 1ft of down hill, I am now putting for 5ft.   This simple rule has keep me from blowing it by the hole many times,, I would rather be 3ft short than 30ft longer than I expected,,,lol  Good luck with this, hope it helped.   Practice Practice Practice,,It's all practice, and sharpening our skills through every game, much like life.            

• scottxxy
    77 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:07 AM

I'd like to be able to practice this new "Tournament" speed--killing me!

• KSWolf72
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 7:03 AM

Agreed - got a new putter and would like to be able to practice before taking it out in a ranked game.  This would be a great addition.

• dave59801
    4 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 2:08 PM

Hey after reading all the inputs for a practice green, why is it that there is not one yet?  If you want to have player stay on and spend there money, then perhaps you should listen to their requests.  I for one am really frustrated with my putting, and if I could practice it would be less frustrating due to being able to see my mistakes and fix them, but to never have a second chance at the putt, how can you see what changes are needed.  And don't say that I just need to practice, if I were at a real course i could at least replace my ball and try again.  I really like your game, it is so far the best I have seen, but not getting a putting green or allow mulligans on the putting surface, i don't think you will get anymore money from me.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 3:22 PM

Rookie thoughts:

At the risk of getting "dinged" for 'bad advice', until WGT comes up with practice putting greens ---- how about this?

No one intentionally misses putts, right? - Why not?  get yourself one of those cheap 'erasable' markers, sign on for a practice round & get the ball to the green.

Put a mark on your screen (where your imaginary will be).  If you need the 'range', move the green triangle over your mark and note the distance.  "Read" the putt and do it!

You be the judge of your accuracy.

Do it again & again, (etc).

On most 'Par 4' holes you can get 7 or 8 putts before maxing at 10 (sink the last one for your ego).

Your score means (nothing) - it's a practice round.

Same technique works for  practice bunker shots (put it in there intentionally), shots from the rough ( I haven't needed to have to intentionally aim there, it seems to happen - well - kinda - automatically).

Somebody's going to admonish me for putting 'erasable' ink on the screen - hey, if you don't like the idea - well --don't use it!

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:33 PM

I like the putting in this game.. It's alot like golf in the real world.. If it's inside of ten feet I know I've got a decent chance of making it.. I don't make most of them but I don't make most of them on an actual golf course either.. Maybe I putt different than most.. I never move the marker unless it's a severe breaking putt.. I use the swing meter..

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:40 PM

Wheels65:

Rookie thoughts:

At the risk of getting "dinged" for 'bad advice', until WGT comes up with practice putting greens ---- how about this?

No one intentionally misses putts, right? - Why not?  get yourself one of those cheap 'erasable' markers, sign on for a practice round & get the ball to the green.

Put a mark on your screen (where your imaginary will be).  If you need the 'range', move the green triangle over your mark and note the distance.  "Read" the putt and do it!

You be the judge of your accuracy.

Do it again & again, (etc).

On most 'Par 4' holes you can get 7 or 8 putts before maxing at 10 (sink the last one for your ego).

Your score means (nothing) - it's a practice round.

Same technique works for  practice bunker shots (put it in there intentionally), shots from the rough ( I haven't needed to have to intentionally aim there, it seems to happen - well - kinda - automatically).

Somebody's going to admonish me for putting 'erasable' ink on the screen - hey, if you don't like the idea - well --don't use it!

I'f I had a nickel for all the times I've done this in a practice round I'd have a whole boat load of nickels.. No erasable markers though..

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:35 AM

joma1108:
    secondly what if it takes you 4 or 5 shots to hit the green

Then it's probably a driving range you should be asking for..putting's the least of your worries ((-;   .............Andy

RSS