Help › Forums

Re: Flop Shot Aim is Restricted in Reverse View

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:25 AM (25 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2010 8:50 PM

andyson:

Since when is a grid shown in reverse view of a flop?

I got this view just now in the weekly CTTH!

Thanks for posting, andyson! Your image illustrates exactly what I described in my post on the first page of the thread. When I saw this view on the second challenge hole of the CTTH, I was shocked, as I'd never seen it before - for a flop. As YJ mentioned, this view is generated by a ball lieing on/near the fringe... probably why I've never noticed it... I don't remember ever using the flop from the fringe.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the view would still need to be "panned back" or "zoomed out" a bit to be truly useful. Thank goodness for the Birdwell Technique! I can really get'em close now!  ;)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:18 AM

YankeeJim:

When you flop from the fringe you get a reverse view. When you flop from anyplace else you get the zoom option instead of reverse.

Something has changed YankeeJim.  Now on the Weekly CTTH at St. Andrews, challenge hole #8 out of the bunker I got the reverse view with grid on the flop shot.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:07 AM

It's a greenside bunker andy. Basically any lie close to the green will give you that view. Personally, I'd like to see the reverse view on all flops.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:39 AM

I'm a big fan of that CTTH challenge ... I've been at different versions of the St.Andrews CTTH for months... haven't stopped there to see this one for myself, yet, but this has been the way it has been since I can remember. Being the shot is so short, I've never run out of room , on-screen, to drag the aimer.

But think about the 4th challenge hole there at St Andrews... if they used the "reverse grid view" there, it would be VERY DELETERIOUS to setting-up a shot - if the view given isn't "zoomed back" far enough. Think about it... there are times under heavy wind conditions when I've had to drag the aimer-triangle all-the-way to the edge of the green, and beyond. Can't see over the lip of the trap there, so it would be difficult to setup a shot there from a view like that. Granted, you'd NEVER be able to use a flop-shot at that challenge hole as IIRC, it's a 127yard shot. The zoom view given us there is sufficient and necessary. 

My point is... the reverse/zoom views we are given for each individual situation on the CTTH's are chosen carefully by WGT, but this may not be so on certain greens in stroke play. Maybe a "zoom/reverse toggle button" to switch between zoom and reverse views could be implemented? That way we could choose a closer view more conducive to setting-up our shots.The grid view of the green need not even be in reverse. Just as long as it allows us to drag the aimer as far left/right as we'd like.

Until any changes are made, the Birdwell Technique for setting-up reverse-view shots to the green (see earlier post in this thread - Page 1) is working-out fine for my purposes. [Thanks again, Birdwell!... and Congratulations on your 100th post in the forums! That, and a dime will get you a basic sleeve of balls... lol!]

In fact, through practice and use, Birdwell's well-illustrated method has become such a valued tool in my arsenal, the whole point of this thread may be becoming moot. lol

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:19 AM

YankeeJim:

Personally, I'd like to see the reverse view on all flops.

I agree 1000%!!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:25 AM

andyson:

YankeeJim:

When you flop from the fringe you get a reverse view. When you flop from anyplace else you get the zoom option instead of reverse.

Something has changed YankeeJim.  Now on the Weekly CTTH at St. Andrews, challenge hole #8 out of the bunker I got the reverse view with grid on the flop shot.

Ooooh, things are changing.  An ominous sign.  Maybe the Loch Ness monster in the water on Kiawah #17 has sprung back to life and the T-Rex fossil in the bunker on #10 is attracting golf balls again...

RSS