Help › Forums

Elevation Shooting

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:31 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2012 7:30 AM

Arc, etc. - the flight profile of your clubs matters too. The higher the profile, the less effect elevation changes will have. Being closer to the hole also means that elevation is less of a factor. With a good wedge shot, your ball comes towering in on the hole, so the elevation doesn't make much difference. But if you are a ways off and trying to reach a green with lots of extra elevation near the end of the shot, like Bethpage 4 or 15, and you have a medium-profile iron in your hands, you are basically just pounding the ball into the hillside. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:14 AM

alosso:
    Your point above is correct for the carry but only partly valid for the total shot length. Enough space provided for the roll, many uphill shots land earlier but roll longer to approx. the same distance w/o backspin (given my G20s

The point deals only with the trajectory. Total distance is another story. Getting on the green is the objective and what happens after that depends on wind, spin, landing and green speed. 

Then again, you have to stay awake to understand it. 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:31 AM

zagraniczniak:

Arc, etc. - the flight profile of your clubs matters too. The higher the profile, the less effect elevation changes will have. Being closer to the hole also means that elevation is less of a factor. With a good wedge shot, your ball comes towering in on the hole, so the elevation doesn't make much difference. But if you are a ways off and trying to reach a green with lots of extra elevation near the end of the shot, like Bethpage 4 or 15, and you have a medium-profile iron in your hands, you are basically just pounding the ball into the hillside. 

This may be true, Jim (YJ) has also told me this when using my wedges, but I do count it in my shots and get pretty close 2- 3 yards of the pin

• PAGES
RSS