• PAGES
  • PETERGEORGE1
    572 Posts
    Sat, May 12 2012 6:42 AM

U hit it on the head alosso.  

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Sat, May 12 2012 6:57 AM

I understand your point Alosso but what I meant to say was if I quit all rounds that weren't up to scratch during that game, I would not have to play that round out and saved time in the long run.

If I only registered good rounds then the averages would have been lower to start the calculations in the first place.

I have never ever quit a game and all my rounds have been ranked, my point was that the averages that I now have have been calculated over all my rounds played and not just the selected good ones.

I could have saved a lot of time in lowering my handicap by following what I just said but that would defeat the ethos of the game IMHO.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, May 12 2012 8:38 AM

Let me start saying that I never meant to talk bad about anybody.

I agree that a player saves playing time (and ball life) if he discontinues a bad game. There's nothing wrong with that as long as nobody else is affected (which would be by quitting a match or AS game (but they don't count to the average anyway)).

When I continue such a game, I have the practice effect in mind, or I just like the holes to come (e.g. STA ##17 and 18).

These days I try to get the highest "Accuracy - CTTH Courses" award, 9 shots on the green and within 20 ft. Of course, if I miss a target, I restart because I can't achieve my goal in that round. It would be a waste of time to continue.

To this ...

Ihatecheats:

my point was that the averages that I now have have been calculated over all my rounds played and not just the selected good ones.

... I disagree.

Only "the selected good ones" count to our averages, the others may temporarily raise it but when it counts towards a tier upgrade they will be long forgotten.

Let's have a look: Today I'm a Master with a 64+ average.

When I hit that tier, a lot of rounds of 70 dominated my average. I was happy to post about 20 rounds under TP conditions (monthly tournament) with a majority of 33s (66) and 34s (68) - they produced a good-looking average of 69+. Which is the upper limit now - the 68, 67? No, only half of my scores of 66 (Master conditions) are in my average calculation, and I'm sure that these and the 65s will have been kicked out when I eventually reach TM.

The 73+ scores in the Qualifier? I don't mind them.

The max of 43? I don't give it a damn.

• PAGES
RSS