Forums

Help › Forums

Greenside bunkers

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 3 2012 3:17 PM (21 replies)
  • TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 5:42 PM

Compared to other players of similar rank and level, my sand saves percentage seems very low (16%).  I'm OK with my play from fairway bunkers, but not shooting out of the sand at the greens.  In real life I usually open my stance and clubface, hit under the ball and almost always make a hard and fast 3/4 swing.  The flop shot in this game seemed to fit this method best so that's pretty much what I've used.  That ain't workin out to well tho, can never depend on it to get close and many times just rolls back into the trap.  Searched the forums to find tips but no luck, any players able to provide some advice or a good tutorial would be appreciated, thanks.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 6:43 PM

Hi :)

sand shots are pretty hard... this guide deals with some of the tricks.

also, there are at least 5 categories of sand, from 15/20 to 60/70 and each plays different. generaly rule is, the higher the sand, the longer it plays and more it will run after landing.

many times a punch shot maybe appropriate (for sand shots of over 25 yards) or pitch or flop. practice is essential

-wgticon

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 7:04 PM

Did poorly on the flop shot until I read you need to aim a couple of yards to the left as the flop shot will go right.

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 7:23 PM

WGTicon:

Hi :)

sand shots are pretty hard... this guide deals with some of the tricks.

Thanks for the reminder that this thread exists, I'd read it before while at the Pro tier and picked up some good pointers from it.  I revisited it just now at your suggestion and focused on the sand play sections, seems I hit more sand as I've progressed through the tears (pun intended).    My practice sessions from greenside bunkers probably has been more whacking away than productive practice, I can work on fine tuning the bunker play now and maybe even shave a stroke or two.  Thanks again

• dustin8538
    6 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 8:12 PM

Hey man, been there and done that.  Very frustrating.  However I picked up some good pointers from Bollox after wathcing some of his gameplay vids on youtube.  I notice he tends to always hit a punch from the bunkers.  I have adapted this and It has benefited me well.  I usually play my 41 punch with full backspin and plan on it running 5-15 yards depending on the depth of the sand.  So I hope this helps. 

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 8:53 PM

I tend to use a full shot out of greenside bunkers. It's just a matter of working out a scale of shot strength.

• Grumps817
    19 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 9:18 PM

best advice I go twas use your lowest club...hit it full 50%...been working for me..don't forget to aim left out of bunkers...like everything else it takes practice

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2012 12:22 AM

Same here, only I use punches as long as distance and sand percentage allow for it.

Minimum strength is about 45 % unless a high bunker rim demands for more.

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 6:00 PM

Thanks for all the tips regarding bunker play, took comments and did some meaningful practice.  Will take me awhile to improve my sand save stats, but it did help me to finally shoot a 9-hole par score in a CC tourny on Congressional.  Thanks to all, and keep your head down.

• canuck4everr
    100 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 6:25 PM

I use fullswing with full backspin and im at about %40

hit the ding with fullswing .

RSS