Greenside bunkers

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 3 2012 3:17 PM (21 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 8:28 PM

WGTicon:
    from 15/20 to 60/70

Love it when the ball rolls into the trap and I end up with 30/40. Must be someone in the group ahead's heel print. Jeeze, can't they find the rake?

:-)

• pejon60
    250 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:04 PM

TrikiRik

It is not just your sand saves that is low.....you only scramble just over 25%

But the real culprit is found elsewhere

PUTTING!!

Look at these figures..they are yours

% Putts Made from 5 - 10 Feet 4.80%
    % Putts Made from 10 -25 Feet     2.55%

Those are just not good enough figures to allow you to scramble par from sand or around the green

Now I am a reasonably good Legend...no where near the best... figures are twice yours at both distances

That is why I score better than you.....Plus since I got the Cleveland Wedges and became more agressive with my shorter putts my scrambling % have improved

Hope that helps..Cheers Paul

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:22 PM

pejon60:

PUTTING!!

Look at these figures..they are yours

% Putts Made from 5 - 10 Feet 4.80%
    % Putts Made from 10 -25 Feet     2.55%

Not that his putting couldn't use work Paul - but I think you are reading this number incorrectly.  This stat confused me for a while when I started playing.  What I have figured out is that this is the % of putts made in that distance range for all of the putts that he has made in total.  Meaning that this stat isn't telling us that he only makes 4.8% of his putts from 5-10 feet - but rather that 4.8% of ALL of the putts that he makes were in the 5-10 foot range.

IMO the putts per hole and the one putt % are the only putting stats that are really worthwhile.

Just to help prove my point - Dansamcam's (likely the best player on the site and I think the lowest average at 53.99) stat page shows that he makes 45.09% of putts from 0-5 feet.  You don't really think that the best player on the game misses 55% of his putts from less than 5 feet do you?

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:38 PM

pejon60:
    It is not just your sand saves that is low.....you only scramble just over 25%

I'm still unclear what is meant by scramble statistic.  But, having looked at CC friends at same level and tier, I notice theirs are in the mid 40% range.

pejon60:
    more agressive with my shorter putts my scrambling % have improved

The "never up, never in" habit of mine has really got to be kicked, according to my CC playing partners. 

Thanks for the pointers, probably shall include putting the hole out as I practice on the greenside bunkers play.

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:44 PM

Scrambling: Percentage of holes on which golfer scores par or better despite failing to hit green in regulation.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:35 PM

TrikiRik:
    The "never up, never in" habit of mine has really got to be kicked, according to my CC playing partners.

I wouldn't if I were you. There's something wrong here and I don't think it's your sand play. With numbers like you have in scrambling and putting, I think the problem is with your second shot (or 3rd on a par 5.) You have decent irons and OK wedges so why are you in the traps and rough so much?  

From Master tees with your equipment, you should be driving to spots where you know what to hit to get the ball on the green, preferably close but at least on in regulation. Focus on doing that first. You'll hit way less traps. And when you do find a trap, forget that flop. The pitch, punch or choked full swing is much easier to get close and they fly straight off the club, unlike the way the flop goes right.

Personally, I use either a pitch or punch out of any greenside trap. Heh-I will say I flopped everything in sight until I was almost a Legend. Learning the pitch and punch in place of it got me over the hump.  :-)

• pejon60
    250 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 12:19 AM

No Spammage

They ARE for those made at the distance range as a percentage of the number of attempts at the distance.........That is why if you add up the % for the range spread it does NOT total 100%

Scrambling just means making PAR when you dont GIR other than from a bunker

TrikiRik you obviously could improve both your Fairways hit % and your GIR % that would mean you are having to chip and sand save less

BUT it is in the Putting that you will find the real improvement......especially if you can double the number of putts you make from 5-10 ft

That is the money range!!....also converting more 4ft putts too

I hole many more of those now

Also take a clear look at the chips, flops, pitches and sand shots you are playing......how close are you actually getting them to the hole..........

If your chipping and such is so bad that you are consistently NOT getting within 3-10 ft then you MUST work on getting better at that.....

If you want to send me a friend invite we can play some games if you like 

Cheers Paul

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 6:52 AM

pejon60:

No Spammage

They ARE for those made at the distance range as a percentage of the number of attempts at the distance...

So you think the OP is making less than 5% of his putts under 10 feet?!  I don't think so.

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 9:41 AM

pejon60:

No Spammage

They ARE for those made at the distance range as a percentage of the number of attempts at the distance...

Well, maybe you are right then - but if that is the case then the putting statistics are really jacked up because Dansamcam and BolloxinBruges both only make less than 50% of putts of less than 5 feet according to that statistic - but both one-putt WELL over 1/2 of the time.  Like I said - this statistic has confused me since I started playing the game and it still doesn't make any sense (another reason why I said it isn't a really useful statistic).  The putts per hole and one-putt % are the ones that count.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 10:07 AM

Spammage:

pejon60:

No Spammage

Well, maybe you are right then - but if that is the case then the putting statistics are really jacked up because Dansamcam and BolloxinBruges both only make less than 50% of putts of less than 5 feet according to that statistic - but both one-putt WELL over 1/2 of the time.  Like I said - this statistic has confused me since I started playing the game and it still doesn't make any sense (another reason why I said it isn't a really useful statistic).  The putts per hole and one-putt % are the ones that count.

No no no.

5-10 feet 4.8% means: 4.8% of ALL putts (from any distance, made or not) are SUCCESSFUL putts from 5-10 feet.

For example, let's say you have 10 putts.

5 are 0-5 feet, and you make 4 of them.

3 are 5-10 feet and you make 1.

2 are 10-25 and you make 1.

Your stats are as follows:

0-5 feet: 40% (4 out of your 10 putts were successful putts from 0-5 feet)

5-10: 10% (1 of your 10 putts was a sunk putt from this range)

10-25: 10% (ditto)

Like it or not, that's how it works. It's confusing because it's a really stupid way to track putting stats.

RSS