Forums

Help › Forums

Heads UP: Downtime tonight + Upcoming changes ...

Sat, Jun 9 2012 4:39 PM (151 replies)
  • Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 1:29 PM

MBaggese:

I'll follow that question up (assuming you play IRL) how often do you do it?

I've done it once in my life! It was when I was on the top shelf of a fast green with the pin on the lower level and water right behind the pin...and btw i made it somehow lol...luck maybe?

Back on topic, I have never used wedges on the green in a normal game on WGT, so it wont affect me!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 1:31 PM

Woodoworkery:

I,m confused did you take the spin off the wedges when you are on the fringe? 

no. only greens.

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 1:40 PM

Romax:

WTG all the whiners who can't master the shot and don't think it's nice for those of us that have to actually use it. Now with all the bitching at WGT to fix something that wasn't even broken, they have the rest of the approach shots all screwed up too.Congratulations! In an effort to piss off a small minority of "chip masters" you now have a vast majority of the community upset. Well done---good job--keep up the good work !          Romax

A few observations on the above quote:

1)  Why did you have to use the chip?  No one is forcing you.  But if you're using it for another reason, i.e. because you can't putt, then that's a different matter altogether.

2)  I don't think I've ever seen a thread where someone has complained about spin when using wedges on greens or asked for it to be changed.  I believe this is something WGT felt would make it more realistic and was their idea.

3) One or two people have said they felt their approach shots are now playing differently to before the update.  I wouldn't call that the majority.

01Geezer:
    Tell Jack or Phil; what Club or the amount of spin they can use on a green

And to answer the above quote from an earlier post, as good as they may be, I don't think even they have total control of how much spin they put on the ball.  But what they do is understand how the ball will react when hitting the ground and so know how hard to hit the ball.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:05 PM

I can think of only 2 times I have done it myself, and only when putting was a distinct disadvantage, you still can but now there is an inherent risk without the spin. Since backspin in real golf is 2 things that are tough to get off the green, compression of the golf ball and swing speed. So the big question is can the pro's do it.

• Romax
    1,876 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:14 PM

To answer the questions  (1)-I don't have to use the chip. I can putt. I use it because I was originally intriqued with the shot when I saw it for the first time.I also spent countless hours practicing to get it right. I find it just as challenging to drop a 45ft chip on the green as dropping the same putt. It is in my opinion a matter of choice how anyone gets the ball in the cup.       (2) I have to agree on that one. The people that know how to execute the shot practice with whatever the spin is till they get it right, so there is no need to complain.        (3) Wait for it-------I have seen some changes too, but have not mentioned it so far. I expect there will plenty of complaints rolling in. 

Although our opinions differ on the subject I respect your right to your have your own views .

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:16 PM

Well if you really want too fix something, how about the swing meter. And while you are at you can trash the V.E.M. system as well. I`m not hatin I`m just sayin......Seeeeee Yaaaaaa

• crgade
    490 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:28 PM

here  is a new suggestion the ability to save a game to finish later

but then be able to play another game while that one is saved

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:29 PM

never done it. i wont do it on a real course so its not something i'd do on here. but for those that do taking the ability to spin it out of the equation seems a tad severe. nipping the ball off a tight lie would impact spin, so to me it's wgt taking a backward step.

the one thing this game needs is blustery winds. in real life the wind is never a constant speed unlike this game if it says 11 it stays 11. now if it flickered between say 7 and 15 no one would pepper the pin as getting the distance would have abit of luck and would alter the flight by + or - say 5 yards. i could set up for 15mph and click when it was on 7.

i just hope the surprise isnt another CTTH not a great lover of them. i can always dream its Lytham St Annes strokeplay.

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:34 PM

WGTicon:

Hi Everyone!

Here is an update on the changes we’re making to the game tonight, and if you have any questions please let me know:

• We are disabling the spin control when using a wedge or any other club on the green in order to make the game experience more fair and competitive. All clubs can be used on the green (to the detriment of the greens keeper), however spin is not available unless a golfer plans to make a 6” divot.
    • We are also disabling the “Create a Group" and "Search Again" functions from the bottom of the lobby because this causes sync issues during multi-player game creation. Going forward, it will be easier to find and group players in the lobby for a game.
    • We have also improved the functionality of the multi-player ‘Save Replay’ feature. Now, you can just click to ‘Save Replay’, then go into the screen and the link is generated for you to share. 
    • And a surprise!

• Please note we have mainly released fixes to broken items and stayed away from big features to make sure the site is stable for the Virtual US Open.

Great write up Icon. Nice having a heads up about changes.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 2:46 PM

No more wedge-putting!!

And no more long-putters!!

And no more using a hybrid to chip!!

And no more "woods" that don't come from a real tree!!

Oh wait a sec, these are all completely legal under the rules of golf.  Never mind....

RSS