Forums

Help › Forums

technical question for the wgt guys

Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:33 AM (26 replies)
  • pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:47 PM

I hear people on here talking about disabling Antivirus..What a great way to obtain a virus. While yes they may be system hogs if your on limited RAM you are asking for trouble when you disable it.

Most of the newer programs have what they call "Game Mode" it will auto config the program to use less RAM. Thats your best bet and safest.

AVG used to be a very good program but I dont think it has game mode option ....yet.

Avant is an excellent virus program to use . I highly recommend it. Windows Essentials works great and is Top Tech certified to use less system resources then any other tool out there.

Just some feedback. Is playing this game worth losing your computer all together ? I run an anti virus program as well as a malware defense program in sync and dont have any slow downs or meter skips on a regular basis.

But if you do decide to disable your virus protection to play this game be sure to enable it when your done :)

Good Luck and Happy surfin...The worms and trojans await.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:52 PM

Spammage:

I have built my own PCs since the mid-90s when I had a less than stellar experience with Dell.  I just got through building a new machine over the weekend and this has been my first experience trying to play WGT on a Windows 7 machine.  Let me say that under XP my set-up was near flawless with only the occasional meter skip/stutter (like once every 10-15 rounds or even less).  When I first loaded under Windows 7 the game was damn near unplayable.  Every time I tried to hit the "ding" the click somehow occurred about 3/8 of an inch beyond the "ding" line and this was very frustrating to say the least.

This is where the tweaking came in.  I tried several things but the one that has seemingly cured my ills was disabling a setting under "Advanced System Settings".  Hit your start button and then look for "Computer" on the right of the start menu.  RIGHT click on it and select "Properties".  On the left side you will see the "Advanced System Settings" and click on it.  On the advanced tab the top button will be under "Performance Settings" and click it. Hit the circle next to "Custom" and then uncheck the box for Enable Desktop Composition. This WILL change the appearance of your desktop (make it plain) but has given me the same smooth meter that I had under WinXP.  As with all things this may not work for everyone but you might give it a shot.  I have used this area to "tweak" my system since XP and I uncheck a lot of what I consider unnecessary items to help with system performance (shadows, smooth scrolling, etc).

Im running Windows 7 Premium with no issues on a mid range rig. By no means is the computer I am using a gaming rig and not a worry in the world. Most of Windows 7 issues come in 2 parts issues.

1 is the integrated video card on MOBO's these video card work but are very limited. But I am sure you knew this.

the 2nd is trying to find the correct Driver (usually older ones are more stable) to work with Windows 7. Once you figure that out you wont have to disable anything to run smoothly.

Im running smooth as a baby's *** right now.

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:00 PM

pjctas0822:

Im running Windows 7 Premium with no issues on a mid range rig. By no means is the computer I am using a gaming rig and not a worry in the world. Most of Windows 7 issues come in 2 parts issues.

1 is the integrated video card on MOBO's these video card work but are very limited. But I am sure you knew this.

the 2nd is trying to find the correct Driver (usually older ones are more stable) to work with Windows 7. Once you figure that out you wont have to disable anything to run smoothly.

Im running smooth as a baby's *** right now.

I am running Win7 64-bit with a GeForce GTX550ti, an Intel set-up and 8gb of ram so was a little surprised when I had stuttering/skipping (it was REAL bad).  I just downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website.  May have to look for some older ones.  Thanks for the heads-up.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:14 PM

Spammage:
    I am running Win7 64-bit with a GeForce GTX550ti, an Intel set-up and 8gb of ram so was a little surprised when I had stuttering/skipping (it was REAL bad).  I just downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website.  May have to look for some older ones.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Wanna trade rigs LOL.

I dont have any game issues at all. Even though your is a monster compared to my lil flea of a computer.

With that much hardware your game should play by itself :)

Yeah sounds like driver issue. Also you may want to play around with your Display resolution. The windows recommended resolution is great for multi tasking but not so much for gaming. I would drop it down depending on your type of monitor and adjust the refresh rate. Takes time to find the right combination but you will be a happy man in then end :)

Good Luck.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 7:16 AM

Virus free since 2008 and never ever run any anti-virus software. Simply be careful and you should be good to go.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:48 AM

GolfDum:

Virus free since 2008 and never ever run any anti-virus software. Simply be careful and you should be good to go.

You probably dont let anyone use your computer. And you probably dont download hardly anything at all. If I was the only person using this PC then I probably would not use a virus program either. Damn Kids LOL

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:33 AM

I download a bit but you're right.......The kids have their own machines and are not allowed on mine :)

RSS